In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt clone 6-gun cylinder not advancing

rossowmnrossowmn Member Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭
edited February 2014 in Ask the Experts
I bought a cheap, needing-work German-made Western-style 6-gun (a Colt-clone 3/4-frame FIE E-15) at a show Saturday. When I try to cockit, the cylinder does not turn far enough for the bolt to engage it consistently; the cylinder often hangs up until I turn it a tiny bit by hand The problem persists with various cylinders I've installed; all the cylinders have good teeth on the ratchet. (Is that what it's even called?)

I know long-distance diagnosis is fraught with peril, but please advise: Am I on the right track to think the hand is not engaging the ratchet at the back of the cylinder sufficiently to push it far enough around? The bolt seems quite willing to engage once the cylinder is turned far enough with a little help.

I likely will not shoot this gun, but I'd still like to be able to cycle it. (I like toys[:I].) (And, with due respect for any advice, please don't suggest taking it to a gunsmith to be fixed; I realize that's an option, but it wouldn't make much sense for a $50 gun with no sentimental value[:)].)

Thanks for advice on the hand question or otherwise.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to lengthen the hand, either build up the existing one or find a replacement. Could also be some play involved among the various pieces.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the problem exists with multiple cylinders, then the culprit is probably the hand (sometimes called a pawl). It sounds like the hand is worn down and is too short. You can purchase a new one from a variety of sources, such as GunParts or VTI, or a smith could try heating up the tip of yours and peening it to be a tiny bit longer. That should push the ratchet on the rear of the cylinder a bit further when you cock the hammer.

fixed spelling error
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take it apart, and clean it real good internally. See if that helps?

If not, contact Bob's gunshop in AR. For a replacement hand. If Charlie's fix doesn't work.

There were at least 3 different German outfits making potmetal single actions back then. You're going to have to identify the correct manufacturer.

Be aware that replacement parts for long out of production guns aren't cheap. Likely it's going to cost you at least $30, including shipping to get any kind of a hand off of Bob. Even then not likely to be a drop-in part. Your going to have to break out the needle files to get the correct fit.

http://www.gun-parts.com/rohm/
  • Options
    chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look also to see if the cylinder is dragging on the barrel. If it is, then you may have too much fore and aft slop, and may need to lengthen the cylinder pin bushing.

This would, in effect, correct your barrel/cylinder gap, and push the ratchet back closer to the hand where it belongs.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Putting a slight bend in the hand MAY correct it by engaging the ratchet more. As mentioned, there may be undue friction somewhere (barrel, cylinder pin, early bolt release) that retards the cylinder rotation. Cocking the hammer smartly may give the cylinder enough inertia to lock-up correctly.