In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Silver flakes on cleaning patches

honkwilliamshonkwilliams Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
edited February 2014 in Ask the Experts
I just bought a slightly used Benelli Nova 12 ga. The exterior is literally like NIB but the bore was pretty dirty. Based on the condition I think it has been fired only a few times, put a way and never cleaned. What puzzles me is that I am getting fairly big silver colored flakes coming out on my cleaning patches. I used a Tipon carbon fiber cleaning rod with a brass jag so its not from that. Is this chrome coming off of a new barrel? Is it normal for a new gun? I usually buy used. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the chrome lining is flaking, you should be able to see the divots in the bore. I vote for lead smearing coming loose during cleaning.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It could be anything, lead should look grey. Perhaps some nickel plated shot? If the chrome is flaking you ought to be able to see it in the bore and feel it with a tight patch.
  • Options
    lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're not seeing a change in the bore finish then it's gotta be lead smears. Flecks and sparkles, bright and shiny (not grey) are not unusual when shooting cast bullets in a firearm that normally takes jacketed ammo so I'm sure the same thing happens with a shotgun. And, it only takes a couple of shots to smear lead on the inside of the bore.

Dan R
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Antimony. Use Shooters Choice to clean.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by honkwilliams
    Is this chrome coming off of a new barrel? Is it normal for a new gun? I usually buy used. Thanks.

Nova does have a chrome barrel, but I'd be shocked if you could actually dislodge the chrome with any sort of normal cleaning effort. That would indicate a serious QC issue, and as mentioned, if this were the case, you'd probably be able to see the chrome flaking off on close inspection of the bore with a light.

I agree with above. This is probably just smeared on shot pellet metal coming off in flakes with cleaning, and assuming the bore looks otherwise normal, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bet it's plastic (from the wads), not metal.
    Hit one with a lighter, and see if it reacts (melts or burns)
  • Options
    JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unburned flake powder??????
    JIM.........
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954
    Bet it's plastic (from the wads), not metal.
    Hit one with a lighter, and see if it reacts (melts or burns)

I second that[;)]
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    honkwilliamshonkwilliams Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input. Yeah I guess it is just lead - duh!