In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

WTK Beta C Mag

vonbismarckvonbismarck Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
edited February 2014 in Ask the Experts
Was wondering if a pre ban mag is worth more than a post?
I know I'll never get what I paid back in the day,(7) but don't want to leave money on the table either. Literally never used. I have the papers & box for it somewhere.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    vonbismarckvonbismarck Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wish it was 5-550. It was 700. Must have been nice having money back then. I was just sure the ban wouldn't sunset. Guess politics wasn't my thing either.
    I have an expensive paperweight now.
    Thanks
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by vonbismarck
    I wish it was 5-550. It was 700. Must have been nice having money back then. I was just sure the ban wouldn't sunset. Guess politics wasn't my thing either.
    I have an expensive paperweight now.
    Thanks

No, you have a $180 BetaMag
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Load it up, take it out and shoot it. Have fun.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Laredo Lefty
    Load it up, take it out and shoot it. Have fun.

+1. Even keeping it 100% new in the box you won't recoup anything close to the money you spent so you might as well get some fun out of the thing.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm familiar with only CA law and CA law is convoluted with respect to +10 round magazines. However other states have different laws and I would wonder if any of those states allow the sale, import, transfer, etc of pre-ban magazines while prohibiting the same of +10 capacity made after a certain date. And if that's the case might not this pre-ban +10 round magazine have a value in those few peculiar states?

To be clear, I'm just wondering & asking a question - not asserting.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As mentioned above, the AR-15 Beta mags are worth around $200 give or take some now. That's still not zero.

IMO, these are bulky and mostly impractical. Something like this makes more sense for a machine gun, than for a carbine. In most cases I think you'd be better off with three cheap, reliable, and easy to load conventional 30 round magazines than one double-drum monster.

On above, I don't think there is any State that currently prohibits importation of new-manufacture STANDARD capacity magazines that permits importation of "pre-ban" magazines. If that loophole existed, the STANDARD cap magazine ban would be effectively worthless. Which isn't to say that "pre-ban" magazines don't get imported anyway, just that there probably isn't a legal loophole you can exploit somewhere that might potentially increase the value of this magazine.

Even if there were, there are a lot of these out there. . .even assuming you could prove the date of manufacture (which I'm guessing you probably can't), I don't think the "premium" for something like this would be worth very much (and probably not worth the potential legal hassle).
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,484 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It looks like the Armatac 150 round 'SAW MAG' is currently retailing for just over $ 400.00, which, one would think, contributes to a cap on the price of a Beta-C.

I've got a couple Beta-Cs and an Armatac, and, as noted above, they are devices to feed rounds into chambers, not investments.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele