In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester pre 64 lever bluing

UintahUintah Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
edited February 2014 in Ask the Experts
Most pre 64 Winchester levers, post war, I have owned or seen have a consistent bluing tint on both receiver and barrel. However I have seen one recently which had a nice original receiver bluing with the barrel seeming to have a slightly lighter tone. The proof marks on the receiver and barrel both seemed similar in depth and edge sharpness and the barrel markings appear to be unpolished. The barrel shows wear consistent with the receiver also. I am certain a cold blue is not present on the barrel. The magazine tube seems to be slightly darker than the barrel as well. Is it possible for the barrel to be slightly lighter in hue than the receiver as from the factory? or is this likely a barrel hot reblue, leaving the receiver and magazine tube unaltered. The barrel is not purple in any way, only a slightly lighter. Thanks for any insight offered.

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Uintah,

While a gentleman, who goes by Bert H on here is our foremost expert, and I am sure he will be along soon, to add or subtract to this, here goes...

First, there is this topic at the top of the Experts board...

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=245213

If I am not mistaken, you can look up the year of manufacture, using the information in this topic. To use other information, than this, or Bert's Red Book, you most likely will end up with erroneous data.

Next, remove the forearm, and down where the barrel meets the reciever, there will be a date stamped on the barrel. If that number coincides with the year of manufacture you looked up, then the barrel has not been changed. Sometimes, judging by the proof marks, is not a certain thing.

I am also not sure how far along, that Winchester date stamped their barrels, although, Bert, can tell you to just about the day. One more thing to remember, if it is post war, that is about the same time frame they started mesing around with the metalurgy of the reciever, and it is noted that it did not quite take bluing the same way. But I do understand, that you are saying that just the barrel of your rifle is lighter in bluing.

Best
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There should be a difference in the color of the bluing on the barrel versus the receiver up to the year 1932. Winchester "rust" blued the nickel steel barrels (which were standard through April of 1932), while the receiver was "machine" blued. The "rust" bluing does create a lighter colored hue. The later "hot salt" bluing is much darker in color than "rust" blue, and often results in a purple tint.