In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rechamber 30/30

boltactionboltaction Member Posts: 505 ✭✭✭
edited February 2014 in Ask the Experts
Can someone out there tell me if a 30/30 win m94 can be rechamber to a strait walled cartridge

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rechambering might be easier than achieving proper feeding.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Huh? Rechamber a 30-30 to a straight walled cartridge?

Like what?

Do you mean rebarrel to say .44 magnum and have it feed correctly?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GOOGLE, 30-30 Ackley Improved. Probably best thing a 30-30 could be rechambered for. You will still be able to chamber standard 30-30, commercial ammo. With the handloaded fired formed improved brass, it will run approximately 200 FPS faster.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ANYTHING can be done. If you spend enuff time and money. But WHY???

If you must, look at the .401 win SL round, it's close to your 30/30
    specs.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.401_Winchester_Self-Loading
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    38-55 same case family, 32-40 (straight taper)
  • Options
    richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the existing barrel, you can REBORE & rechamber to .38/55.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by boltaction
    Can someone out there tell me if a 30/30 win m94 can be rechamber[ed] to a strai[g]t walled cartridge

The question isn't whether or not this sort of conversion "can" be done (yes it can). . .

The question is whether or not you SHOULD do it.

Is there a particular cartridge you have in mind?

I think in most cases, you'll find it more cost effective to just buy the gun in the configuration you want, and sell off the one you have to fund the purchase. If you do that right, you may even end up with some money in your pocket.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .35/30-30 was a caliber change done a lot years ago. It is almost straight-walled. The .38-55 is a straight-walled caliber originally chambered in the 1894 as well. This about all you can do because of feeding/pressure limits with the action.

The .375 Win can be considered a .38-55 +P+, but they are not interchangeable. The case was shortened a tad and the cases made stronger for the .375, and it was chambered in the beefed up "1894 Big Bore" version. ( 1894BB also came in the .307 Win and .356 Win., all are all just about dead now.)

The Ackley improved .30-30 chambering is neat because you get a little more oomph, and can still fire factory ammo in a pinch.

They did make straight-walled handgun calibers for the 1894, I have an 1894 Trapper in .44 mag, and I used to have a "1894 Legacy" model in .45 Colt.

It's all about the benjamins when it comes to caliber-converting 1894's.