In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

T/C Contender, Encore ?

litetriggerlitetrigger Member Posts: 320 ✭✭
edited February 2014 in Ask the Experts
I know that some of the Contender and other models will allow the exchange of the parts> ie. barrels stockes, forarms. But it looks like the Encore does not. Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks

Comments

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A number of parts can be exchanged between the Contender and the G2.
    The Encore is a much larger frame than the Contender (to handle the more powerful cartridges).
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Basically, they are two different frame sizes. The Contender is the smaller, weaker one, while the Encore is larger. So only things Encore will exchange with any thing Encore.

The Contender is a little bit more tricky. There are the Contender's, then there are the G2's.

The G2 basically is a scaled down to Contender size, Encore design. It does not readily , usually without some minor modification, exchange with Contender barrels. The stocks and forends will, from what I have been told.

The same goes for the Contender. It does not sometimes accept the G2 barrels, without some minor fitting.

So to avoid any confusion, if you have an Encore, you need Encore stuff.

If you hace a Contender, you need Contender stuff.

Lastly, if you hace a G2, you need G2 stuff.

Best

EDIT 1
    quote:Contender - G2 issue. I have 16 Contender Barrels (T/C & 3rd Party) and all fit on G2 Pistol Frame.

All of my old contender barrels fit my G-2 frame.

Have you tried putting a new G-2 barrel on an old Contender frame? I didn't think so.

Best
  • wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All of my old contender barrels fit my G-2 frame.
  • hector15hector15 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All of my barrel's, new and old fit my G2 frame. I don't think the grips will interchange between the old style and the G2, but the barrels do.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hector15
    All of my barrel's, new and old fit my G2 frame. I don't think the grips will interchange between the old style and the G2, but the barrels do.

I have G2 and the old Contender frames too. Switching barrels freely between the two generally works but every once in a while the locking lugs don't sufficiently seat to engage the safety. It usually happens with the "solid bolt" barrels and not so much the split bolts. I had a 44 Magnum barrel that did seat enough to fire, but not hold very well - an "auto extract" Contender barrel ....[:(!]

The best Contender grip, given my habit for shooting larger calibers, was the old Pachmayer "walnut & rubber" version. Grips are different between old style and G2, and the Pachmayer fits only the old style, but it can be rather readily modified to fit the G2. You gut the screwhole and frame stem channel then fill in a bit with epoxy, seat the wrapped frame for fit. Then relieve the front of the grip to the trigger guard, take a bit of wood off the grip top so the hammer spur doesn't contact it at full cock. I've done a few, they get easier each time. Really can't be done to the Encore very well. It can be made to fit but because of the larger frame just doesn't match up well.