In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Am I Permitted By Law to Have a Copy of My 4473?

Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
edited March 2014 in Ask the Experts
I just purchased a new ATI STG-44 via GunBroker from a CA dealer and found out it qualifies for a $50 factory rebate. To receive the rebate, ATI requires a copy of the receipt, which is more than reasonable, but they also want a copy of the filled out ATF Form 4473, Firearms Transfer Record. Here's a link to the ATI rebate announcement: http://www.americantactical.us/page/stgrebate.html. I called ATI to make sure a copy of the Form 4473 was required, they told me it was, and informed me I could get a copy from the FFL agent who conducted the transfer. I called my FFL agent here in CO and they refused to give me a copy, stating it is against the law. ATI's requirement for a Form 4473 struck me as kind of weird, but it's just a form containing my personal information and bearing my signature, so why can't I have a copy? Am I within my rights to demand a copy from my FFL agent? Can anyone cite federal law that permits me to have a copy? Would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The 4473 copy is the ensure that the rifle was actually delivered to a customer and that the rebate goes to a legitimate retail purchaser. Interestingly, here in CA a dealer must provide a copy of the completed 4473 to the buyer if it is requested but so far as I know there is no BATF regulation that requires this on a federal level. It is not against the law for you to obtain a copy but I doubt that there is any Colorado state law mandates your dealer provide a copy on demand.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    It's true that a dealer can't release copies of 4473's, but this was done as an anti-registry database measure. Clarification on release of a copy to the purchaser has been issued.

Take a look on page 2 of this ATF FFL Newsletter:

http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/newsletters/ffl/ffl-newsletter-2002-12.pdf

PROVIDING COPIES OF ATF FORM 4473 AS PART OF COUPON/REBATE OFFERS

ATF has received numerous inquiries from FFLs
    asking whether they may provide copies of the
    ATF Form 4473 "Firearms Transaction Record"
    to firearms purchasers participating in coupon/
    rebate programs. Licensed dealers are required to
    record firearms transactions on ATF Form 4473
    and retain all records prepared for the sale or
    other disposition of firearms as under 27 CFR
    178.124 and 27 CFR 178.129, respectively. The
    Federal firearms laws do not prohibit an FFL from
    providing a photocopy of the ATF Form 4473 to
    the buyer at the buyer's request. If you have any
    questions about this information, please contact
    the Firearms Programs Division at (202) 927-
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs
    It's true that a dealer can't release copies of 4473's, but this was done as an anti-registry database measure. Clarification on release of a copy to the purchaser has been issued.

Take a look on page 2 of this ATF FFL Newsletter:

http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/newsletters/ffl/ffl-newsletter-2002-12.pdf

PROVIDING COPIES OF ATF FORM 4473 AS PART OF COUPON/REBATE OFFERS

ATF has received numerous inquiries from FFLs
    asking whether they may provide copies of the
    ATF Form 4473 "Firearms Transaction Record"
    to firearms purchasers participating in coupon/
    rebate programs. Licensed dealers are required to
    record firearms transactions on ATF Form 4473
    and retain all records prepared for the sale or
    other disposition of firearms as under 27 CFR
    178.124 and 27 CFR 178.129, respectively. The
    Federal firearms laws do not prohibit an FFL from
    providing a photocopy of the ATF Form 4473 to
    the buyer at the buyer's request. If you have any
    questions about this information, please contact
    the Firearms Programs Division at (202) 927-

Excellent work. Thank you Txs.

Fairlane, reading the above information confirms that while it is not illegal for the dealer to give you a photocopy of your 4473, the delaer is under no obligation to do so. I think you may be up against a brickwall on this one.
  • Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good news, I spoke with the shop owner and received a copy. His employees were reticent to release a copy of the 4473, but he knew the law and had no problem with my request. I think it just goes to show the Feds have everyone on edge. Folks are deathly afraid of violating the rules...and there are many and the number is growing every day. So, the next questions is, why would ATI want a copy of the 4473? Seems a little over the top to me. I plan to call and ask them for their rationale.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    The 4473 copy is the ensure that the rifle was actually delivered to a customer and that the rebate goes to a legitimate retail purchaser.