In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need a spring for a gun....

jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2014 in Ask the Experts
I need a mainspring for a gun like this (Forehand & Wadsworh). Where could I find it? Thanks for any help.
ForehandWadsworthLeadA1000.jpg
100_5756.jpg

Comments

• Options
    lew07lew07 Member Posts: 1,055 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As You already have one I would have thought the best thing to do was have one made using the one you have as a pattern.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lew07
    As You already have one I would have thought the best thing to do was have one made using the one you have as a pattern.

This is where you normally look, though they appear to be sold out now:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/ForehandWadsworth-33243/Revolvers-36272/HammerRevolverLargeFrame-38041.htm

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/210580A.htm

Even if they had this part in stock, I think you'd have to be cautious in buying one, because their parts all come from broken-down guns, and these particular springs are fairly prone to breakage.

If the goal is just to get the gun functional (rather than restore it to parts-authentic collector-like status), then your best bet probably is to have a new spring fabricated out of spring steel. A good gunsmith should be able to do that for you. . .though whether or not the price of his time will be cost-effective for something like this is a different matter.

I saw a post on another forum claiming you could fabricate these springs relatively easy out of the spring steel from a large binder clip cut with a dremel. Assuming you have any skill with hand tools, these are cheap enough that its probably worth a shot to try.

Edit, responding to below:
    quote:I think the post about binder clips as a source was referring to V-type trigger springs, which are much shorter.
    Could be, though binder clips do come in fairly large sizes (see below).

My concern with this approach would just be that a section of binder clip might not have enough spring tension ("k") to get reliable ignition powering the revolver hammer. If you can adapt a V type mainspring from another revolver to fit, that may work better.

CS450_03.jpg
  • Options
    hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The challenge here is the right angle extension on bottom leaf of mainspring that reaches forward and doubles as a hand and trigger spring.

Very similar springs were used in some Spanish S&W copies that possibly could be fitted and are available from Dixie Gun Works.

These are probably examples on EBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-mainsprings-for-Spanish-copy-of-S-W-revolver-lot-1-/121262325427?nma=true&si=ewPkq%2BhTPXzICSdNbJEuJ8enQ2Q%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I think the post about binder clips as a source was referring to V-type trigger springs, which are much shorter.
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hrf
    The challenge here is the right angle extension on bottom leaf of mainspring that reaches forward and doubles as a hand and trigger spring.

Very similar springs were used in some Spanish S&W copies that possibly could be fitted and are available from Dixie Gun Works.

These are probably examples on EBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-mainsprings-for-Spanish-copy-of-S-W-revolver-lot-1-/121262325427?nma=true&si=ewPkq%2BhTPXzICSdNbJEuJ8enQ2Q%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I think the post about binder clips as a source was referring to V-type trigger springs, which are much shorter.
    Those do look close. Thanks
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have the old spring you could have it silver soldered together, assuming it is broken. That has worked for me. A close fitting silver soldered joint is very strong.
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Common sources of spring material I have used for years are (all carbon steel) files, kitchen knives & carpenter saws. To use, heat to red & let cool so it will be soft enuf to saw or file. Make your blank & heat red if necessary to bend to shape. Once acceptable, heat red & quench preferably in oil. Now hard & brittle as glass, place in a shallow metal container with half teaspoon of motor oil, heat from below till oil catches fire & allow to burn off. Let cool & you have a spring.

Good idea to do some practice heating, quenching, re-heat, burn off, etc. to get the hang of it. I make the burn off container from a common food can, cut off half inch from the bottom & bottom beat flat to keep oil from running out to the edges. If you use a file for spring material be sure all the file serrations are removed from your finished spring b/c cross marks prompt breakage.
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    My 1st wife's uncle was an ace at fixing old break tops. And in many many of them, the main spring was the problem. He would buy bundles of flat spring steel. Not sure where he got them. But they were small bundles about 5 or 6 inches long of small flat spring steel. Probably a dozen pieces per bundle. Then he would spend HOURS, if not days replicating the original springs. Totally trial and error. It was his hobby. He owned a bunch of old break top pistols. He was actually pretty good at it. I shudder to think how long it might take for someone to learn how to do it for the 1st time.
  • Options
    74man74man Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you tried Wolff GUNSPRING MAKERS,PO Box 458, Newtown Square. Pa.19073. Phone 610-359-9600 or 800-545-0077 or you can go online to: http://www.gunsprings.com. I would try them to see if they might have a spring for that firearm,or maybe they can make one from your sample. Good Luck.
  • Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try; JACK FIRST, inc. 1201 TURBINE DR. RAPID CITY, SD 57703 (605) 343-9544GUN NO. 347 PART No. 10