In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lyman Fixed Alaskan

vandj1318vandj1318 Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
edited March 2014 in Ask the Experts
Hello Experts,

Does anyone know of any other Lyman scope made that is similar to the Fixed Alaskan? I found one that, side by side, measures exactly like an All-Weather Alaskan. It's marked, Lyman Gun Sight Corp., Made in USA, Middlefield, Conn., but without a Pat.# or Ser.#. It has the correct screw location where the W/E ports would go. Stroebel shows the Fixed Alaskan being the only scope without W/E but this one's not so marked. Is it a prototype? Thank you for your time.

Jim

Comments

• Options
    richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was a regular production item for a while either side of WWII- several years, at least. Sold for a little less than the adjustable version.

Post WWII, Stith, Leupold, & Griffin & Howe (maybe others) made W&E adjustable mounts for it to fit "popular rifles".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by richarda
    It was a regular production item for a while either side of WWII- several years, at least. Sold for a little less than the adjustable version.

Post WWII, Stith, Leupold, & Griffin & Howe (maybe others) made W&E adjustable mounts for it to fit "popular rifles".

Even without the numbers or "Fixed Alaskan" on the tube?
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dug out a couple of my rifles that have Alaskan scopes on them and they are marked "Alaskan" on the tubes along with serial numbers and the address, etc. I do not have a fixed Alaskan so I looked in some old Stoegers catalogs and the pictures show "Fixed Alaskan" on the tubes. Do I understand that your scope has 4 screw locations (top & side) for the W/E turrets? If so, that seems odd. Is there a reticule?

Of course, several other companies made fixed reticule scopes back in the day. Kollmorgen, Leupold, and Bausch & Lomb come to mind but, of course, since your scope says Lyman on it that rules them out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    To clarify, there are two screws on one side. Measuring from the front of the tube, they measure 3" and then 4 7/8"(1 7/8" in between). There is a single screw in the middle of the tube on the opposite side. The reticle is a crosshair.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never having seen a fixed Alaskan, I don't know whether they were serial numbered or not. The picture in a 1956 Stoeger's catalog shows the name "Fixed Alaskan" on the scope tube.

As you probably know, the fixed reticule scope was new in 1953 while the W/E Alaskan started in 1938. So your theory of a prototype is as good as any. Maybe your scope was made before they decided on a name and there may have been nothing worthy of a patent on it.

I have three of the Alaskans including an early one, serial #153, that has the exposed W/E dials and it is not marked "All Weather" on the turret mounts as the later ones are. That scope was apparently sent in at some later time to have a "Lee Dot" reticule installed.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I sure do appreciate the input...Thank you.