In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Legal demilled

49 harley49 harley Member Posts: 112 ✭✭
edited March 2014 in Ask the Experts
Really confused here, noticed on g-broker M14's complete with only one cut through the receiver...all parts including selector..is there ANY clear cut definition to a legally demilled receiver? Is it legal to sell these? Going by ATF standards, I see no way possible????

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    To be legally DEMILED a receiver needs to be cut into four pieces with each cut displacing 1/4 inch. This allows you to own the entire receiver (all four pieces). If it has been sheared or cut in half and you only have the (say) rear portion then you have a paperweight. Obtain the front portion to go along with the rear and you have a machinegun...Unless you make two more cuts.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And, yes, according to ATF standards regulations, there is no way possible.

Neal
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Likely a scam, or entrapment. Nobody in their right mind, is going advertise something like that on a public forum.

If you were to win the auction, and send in your funds. Who could you possibly complain to, if your contraband parts don't show up? The feds [:D]
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Likely a scam, or entrapment. Nobody in their right mind, is going advertise something like that on a public forum.

Well, as above, if you have less than half a receiver, its not an illegal gun. I think that's what's going on in the one auction like this I see (#397485366). If the receiver is really cut into four separate pieces, I don't think you can assemble the rest of the gun parts into it.

On trap/scam, I'd like to know if anyone is actually aware of specific GB.com auctions that are or were BATFE scams. Does this actually happen or is it just some sort of internet "urban legend"? I'd imagine the BATFE does keep an eye on the auction site. . .they'd be stupid not to. . .but there is a difference between trying to catch other people's illegal sales, and creating illegal sales of their own!

Speaking in general, I think anyone whose been to enough gun shows has seen illegal stuff for sale, and this is presumably with undercover BATFE agents all over the place there. (IE there are stupid people in the world). Also, without getting too specific, I've seen items on the auction site listed for direct sale that "probably" should go through an FFL.

quote:If you were to win the auction, and send in your funds. Who could you possibly complain to, if your contraband parts don't show up? The feds [:D]I suppose you could complain to GB.com; Even if there isn't much they could do to get your money back at the very least, I think they'd be interested in learning more about contraband being listed for sale on their site.

Also, stipulating that the receiver and/or selector are illegal, if you won a parts kit containing them, you'd still be entitled to all the OTHER legal parts, and you could specify to the seller to send only the legal ones.
  • Options
    49 harley49 harley Member Posts: 112 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies, I've seen a lot of items I'm skeptical about, and can't see getting on the wrong side over minimal monetary gain. Just seems this M14 stuff was getting overboard, saw the TRW end at over 3 grand, reserve not met??
    One final question, do the same regulations apply to semi-auto arms like a Garand Or M1 carbine as far as torch cutting receiver to sell on gb with no FFL?? Thanks in advance!!