In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cylinder will not rotate on revolver

model1892model1892 Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
edited March 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have a Rossi .38 revolver I recently just obtained and I looked at it when I bought it, but don't think I inspected it like I fully should have. Anyway, to the point, the cylinder only rotates when the gun is pointed downward and the trigger is pulled. If you hold the gun up as if you were shooting a target or object, the cylinder does not rotate when you pull the trigger. You can keep pulling the trigger, but the cylinder does not rotate. I have taken the gun completely apart and back together probably 10 times and still no change. I'm wondering if it could be the part call the "hand" that rotates forward to turn the cylinder. I'm not really sure as to I have no experience with revolvers. Has anyone ever run across this issue. I have some pictures uploaded to website below of the inside. You can hear the piece inside as your rotating the gun if you put it closely to your ear.

http://s42.photobucket.com/user/model1892/library/?sort=3&page=1

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you are missing the hand spring. Part #25

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Rossi-33467/Revolvers-40393/38-38299.htm?results=All

added I think a S&W spring could be made to work if they can't find a Rossi.
  • Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a spring located in the trigger that engages a pin in the hand, pushing it forward to engage the cylinder. Either the spring is missing or broken or, more likely, the hand is not installed properly.

It's easy to install the hand wrong if you are not aware of the spring. You may be able to figure it out if you look at the parts. Or, get someone who's familiar with revolvers to show you how.

Ray
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes it is a model 88 .38 special. There is no hand spring and I cannot find it. I don't remember seeing one when I took it apart. I'm going to try a local gun shop and show them the inside of it
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's odd that the spring would be missing since it's pinned in and would have to be deliberately removed. It's a wire spring and seldom breaks so the usual cause of it not working is that the hand was not installed properly.

Most of the S&W parts will fit in the old Rossi's and a good gunsmith should have one of the springs in his junk box. Having to order one could take some time. You'd better get an extra pin while you're at it.

Good luck.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I found it!!! The spring was pushed down inside of the trigger. You were right, it is pinned in and would have to be deliberately removed. The spring looks just like the one pictured. Now I have to figure out how to get the spring flipped in the correct direction.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Found a little bit of help from this link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBhZ0SibaCU I located the spring and pushed it back up and hooked the pin under it. It was tricky. You can feel the tension the hand has. Before, it was just loose. Everything is working smooth. I oiled it all down good and have it sitting. Thanks everyone.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I used to work on S&W revolvers quite a bit when I was into pistol competition. I made several little tools to help with dis-assembly and assembly. One was a hook device for installing the hand and another was a pusher tool for installing the rebound slide. With those I could remove and install both while blindfolded.

And watch out for ejector rods with a left-hand thread!

Glad to see you're back in business.

Ray