In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt New Service .455.

DaveFDaveF Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
edited March 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have a Colt New Service in .455 Eley. It is in very good exterior condition, with an excellent bore and locks up like a bank vault, but I find the original grips, which are also in excellent shape, too small for my hand.
I would like to install a set of Pachmayrs or similar larger grips for better recoil control, but am more familiar with S&W revolvers than Colts.
Which grips for which current model of Colt will work on my New Service ??
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got this off the net. Not likely Pachmayr, still has them cataloged though. The New Services haven't been made, since the 40's. Probably your going to have to scour the on-line auctions.

"I found a couple pair of Pachmayrs several years ago and the package just said "Colt New Service".
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/815784/vintage-gun-grips-colt-new-service-polymer-black

Take these and bondo up a nice made exactly for your hand set of grips. You could then use your modified grips as a pattern in a pantograph to turn out an nice set in wood.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/815784/vintage-gun-grips-colt-new-service-polymer-black

Take these and bondo up a nice made exactly for your hand set of grips. You could then use your modified grips as a pattern in a pantograph to turn out an nice set in wood.

I ordered a set of Sauer 38 H grips from Vintage 3 years ago. They were real poor quality. Looked to me they used a original set of grips, as a pattern for their plastic repo's.

Don't get me wrong, they were OK for cosmetic purposes. As replicas of what the originals looked like. But they didn't fit well. The plastic was thicker. than the originals. And it seemed rather brittle. Don't believe, that it would stand up to a sustained use on a New Service.
  • Options
    md1634md1634 Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife has one in 45 Colt. It's got an aluminum grip adapter that fills out the original narrow grips between the front of the grip and the trigger guard. The adaptor was in common use in the 60's and early 70's. Can't remember the name of the manufacturer, though.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That would most likely be the "Tyler T Grip". They are still made and I'm sure a model is available for the New Service. I use one on a Colt 1917 (same frame) and it helps alot, especially having larger hands.

There are other versions out there, Pachmayer made a softer rubber/plastic type that can still be found at Numrich Arms for about $8.00.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Herrett's might make a set of stocks for your New Service.
    They won't be cheap, $122+.
  • Options
    md1634md1634 Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dfletcher got it right. It really works well.
  • Options
    DaveFDaveF Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you guys.
    I had forgotten all about the "Tyler T-Grip" (it's that age thing again), but mailed off an order for one today.