In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

winchester whats the skinny?

woma951woma951 Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
edited March 2014 in Ask the Experts
If all thats stated in the description is accurate? This gun seems to be under priced?? I see the loading tube looks oddly blue or new? I see the wood patch or possibly patches? What am I not seeing? Please educate me!

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=400478023

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That auction screams beware, as the letter, dated in 2006, should be from the Cody Museum, not Winchester Repeating Arms.

Best
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Since it was allegedly owned by Bert's "Red Book" co-author, maybe he has firsthand knowledge of it. Hopefully, he will comment.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    That auction screams beware, as the letter, dated in 2006, should be from the Cody Museum, not Winchester Repeating Arms.

Best

It appears that Cody did use "Winchester-ish" letterhead in 2006. Here's another example:

9965737_1.jpg?v=8CD4A27EF0D1560
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Cody factory letter with the rifle is perfectly legitimate, and it is not on Winchester stationery. If you look closely at the letter in the auction listing, you can see the raised Cody Firearms Museum stamped seal.

In regards to the rifle in question, Larry has bought and sold at least several hundred Winchesters since 2006, and I do not remember even 25% of them. What I will say, is that rifle is not something he would have bought for resale on purpose. He and I both look for guns with excellent (or better) bores, and 100% factory original. If Larry bought that rifle, it was because it was part of a package deal to get something else that he wanted.

As for the asking price by the seller... in my opinion, it is appropriately priced. The magazine tube is an obvious reproduction replacement, and it is a 32 WCF, both of which drive the value to where it is.
  • Options
    woma951woma951 Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Knowing the caliber would effect the price and assuming the reproduction magazine would be big. How big was the wood patch? In general? Sorry I know that's a wide open question just trying to gain knowledge!
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As always, I think Bert is right on.
    In my opinion, if it was an original mag tube and in 38 or 44 caliber, you would be looking at a $2500-3500.00 rifle. With the patch on the fore end, I would think 2200-2700.00 give or take a couple/few hundred.....
    It is real hard to find any decent 1873 for under 1500-2000.00. I do bump into a number of them in the 1000-1200.00 range, but they are usually 32 cal and REAL rough.
    Good luck,
    Ed