In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

MOSSBERG 500 EJECTOR FOLLOWER

littleblue63littleblue63 Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
edited March 2014 in Ask the Experts
HOW DO I GET THE MAGAXINE EJECTOR PLUG OUT

Comments

• Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you mean the magazine capacity limiter plug? If so, remove the magazine end cap lift out the magazine spring retainer - watch the spring as it will come out in a hurry if given a chance - then tip the magazine tube open end down and the plug should fall out. Be sure you don't take out the shell follower, it needs to stay in the tube and facing the way it started. Put the spring back in and put its retainer in place where it was. Finish reassembly of the gun. If you increase the capacity beyond three rounds, including the round in the chamber, it will be illegal for hunting migratory birds, so keep the plug to put back in before using for hunting.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Fuelie, that works on a Remington, but a Mossberg has a solid end magazine tube with a threaded hole for the barrel retaining bolt.

Truth is for a Mossberg I don't know..
  • Options
    BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    littleblue63,

Unload your shotgun. Remove the barrel, and tip gun downward. The "plug", or "limiter", is a small-diameter, wooden dowel, with two, square-cut O-rings on it. With a little shaking, and some patience, it will fall out of the threaded hole, where the barrel-retaining thumbscrew fits in the front end of the magazine tube.

Removing barrel & thumbscrew:

screw.jpg

Magazine plug:

pix158647139.jpg

The dowel will come through this small, threaded hole:

$_57.JPG

Comparison of lengths of magazine tube & its limiter:

10545499145_7916e97c5c_o.jpg

Video of how it is done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPRDIouciGc

_________

• Options
    littleblue63littleblue63 Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    AT THE END OF THE MAGAZINE TUBE IT IS THREADED FOR THE TAKEDOWN SCREW . HOW DO I TAKE OUT THE THREADED PART? IT IS NOT LIKE THE REMINGTON 1100. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,987 ******
    edited November -1
    you 'unscrew' the magazine tube
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    you 'unscrew' the magazine tube

And that's what you'll need to do to replace the follower, and/or the spring..

The threaded 'plug' at the end of the tube isn't designed to be removed..
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Take the barrel off.. Load the magazine tube. Plug should protrude, take out. Note: This is newer guns.

All of mine just have a lose piece of doll rod in them. I just take the barrel off and tip them upside down.