In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

220 Russian to 22 PPC

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭
edited March 2014 in Ask the Experts
I've read a few "just full length resize the 220 Russian" and fire form to turn it into a 6 PPC, I'm wondering what is required to change the 220 Russian into the 22 PPC - fireform only? I'm using the 22 PPC in a TCR 83 single shot rifle and don't think case neck thickness sensitivity will be an issue.

UPDATE: The barrel showed up .....with no underlug, so snapping on the forend is a bit of a challenge. Any ideas on where to find one (Numrich doesn't have) or how much it would cost to have a gunsmith make one. Part looks fairly simple to manufacture.

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doug,

If it is a custom chamber, the neck diameter of the chamber might be marked by the cartridge designation. They usually are. Subtract the bullet diameter, and then from that subtract 0.002". Then divide that by two, and that will tell you what your neck thickness should be. If it is a tight chamber, you do not want to cram oversized neck brass into it, as it will spike your pressures by not letting the bullet go. So, yes, neck thickness can be an issue.

Best
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    Doug,

If it is a custom chamber, the neck diameter of the chamber might be marked by the cartridge designation. They usually are. Subtract the bullet diameter, and then from that subtract 0.002". Then divide that by two, and that will tell you what your neck thickness should be. If it is a tight chamber, you do not want to cram oversized neck brass into it, as it will spike your pressures by not letting the bullet go. So, yes, neck thickness can be an issue.

Best

Hi Tim -

I'm told there's no neck diameter info on the barrel and the caliber is electropenciled on the underside of the barrel. The barrel comes from a friend who worked with T/C and describes it as something of a prototype, one of a number they built but never produced, under the theory that the attraction of the cartridge is accuracy, something a break open "shotgun" style rifle wouldn't take advantage of.

Maybe a chamber casting is best, keeping a feel for how things go together and definitley startin on thelight end of suggested loads. If fireforming this goes as well as it did with the 30.30AI I'll be happy.

Edit: this is a 26" rifle barrel for the TCR 83.
  • Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 22 PPC is an easy case to make. A chamber cast, or some other way to measure the neck diameter is almost a necessity.

In reality, the 22 PPC is overbore. Hard to believe that such a small case can be too big, but the shortened versions like the 22 WalDog are much better. Benchrest shooters have even found out that the original 22 Russian case is just as good, or better, than the PPC version.

I don't know how the 22 PPC will work in a short barrel TC but it should be fun finding out.[:D]

Ray
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cheechako
    The 22 PPC is an easy case to make. A chamber cast, or some other way to measure the neck diameter is almost a necessity.

In reality, the 22 PPC is overbore. Hard to believe that such a small case can be too big, but the shortened versions like the 22 WalDog are much better. Benchrest shooters have even found out that the original 22 Russian case is just as good, or better, than the PPC version.

I don't know how the 22 PPC will work in a short barrel TC but it should be fun finding out.[:D]

Ray

Ray, the TCR 83, is a rifle with at least a 22 inch barrel, and maybe longer. Same idea as the Contender, and Encore, but a little different design.

From what Doug says, this barrel is almost like a onester...meaning only one of them made. Any idea's on case forming?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As to case forming - expand the neck to 6mm. Run the case into a FL 22 PPC die until you get a crush fit in your chamber. Load with a full power load and shoot.

If you have a tight neck - turn the case necks to the required neck thickness, stopping the cut at a point on the neck or shoulder that results in the same crush fit. Load with a full power load and shoot.

Ray
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the info. Seems like a touch of effort may be required but not a whole lot. I've placed an order with Grafs for dies & brass. And the 220 Russian on its own seems like quite the liitle cartridge, maybe there's an Encore sporter barrel in that caliber in my future too.

You know, I started reloading about 40 years ago to save money - 80 or so cartridges later, it hasn't exactly worked out that way. [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Doug,

To save time, and money, I know that NORMA makes 6mm PPC USA cases. You might be able to cut your steps, and some scrap by using them...plus their quality, is outstanding.

Try to grab them at Custom Brass and Bullets...a friend on here sent me there too...

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Another way to get high-quality PPC brass - Benchrest shooters are well known for shooting a case a couple of times and then tossing it into a bucket. Most of us (I'm one too) have 2 or 3 gallons of Lapua brass that they gladly sell for pennies, just to get rid of it. Live varmint shooters often make the rounds of Benchrest matches buying this stuff up. It's mostly neck-turned, but a prairie dog doesn't know the difference.

Just an idea.

Ray