In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CCW for the females

jeronimojeronimo Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
edited August 2005 in Ask the Experts
My wife has short fingers and would like a carry gun she can put into the V of her hand and reach the trigger. She shot my python (shoots well with it) and is too large but i would like to keep her in a 357 or 40S&W. I,m thinking beretta cougar, ruger GP100 or ruger SP101 any help with what the ladies are carrying? Thank you, jeronimo.

Comments

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,425 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Ruger SP101. It is comfortable in my rather small hand. It's not a lite-weight but that can be a plus for a female (OK don't flame me now) with a 357. Take her to your local dealer and have her try on a few. You all ready know she can handle the larger cals.

cbxjeff<P>It's too late for me, save yourself. <br>
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    If she does well with the Python, I would suggest the Diamondback and stoke it with 38 spl +P for self defense. The Kahr 40 s&w is another good choice. my 2 cents [8D]

Greg
    Former Marine
    2nd A N G L I C O
  • Options
    dbaraledbarale Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife likes her M60 LadySmith, improved trigger pull and grips to fit a woman's hand. Just be careful, .357 from a snubby is quite a handfull.
    A friend has a SP101 from Gemini Customs and she loves it, way out of my price range but it is a beautiful gun.

Daniel.
  • Options
    andy12390andy12390 Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my dad had a 36 and a lady smith, we had to change the grips on the and put larger hogue and pacmayer grips because the normal wooden grips were too small for us.

NEF 20 ga.
    western field 12, double
    marlin 70pss 22lr
    mauser 98 7X57
    mauser 98 .243
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife took quite a while to find something "SHE" was comfortable with. It turned out a Walther P-99 (in 40) fit her like a glove. The original Walther, NOT the S&W 99. Because of the different backstraps available with the Walther, is the reason it fit her hand so well.

They are not for everybody. I don't like the de-cocker, but I love the mag release. If interested in one, look at the different kinds of trigger packs that come with them, as they can NOT be changed after you buy the gun.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife shoots a S&W Model 15 in .38 Special and does quite well with it. If your wife wants to stay with a .357 she could find a Model 19 which is the same revolver as the model 15 but in .357. I also had a pair of grips made to fit my wifes hand for her model 15--they make a world of difference over the older original grips that came on her revolver.
  • Options
    jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    My wife and my mother both carry a Taurus mod.85 ultralight 38sp. While its not as large a caliber as you specified, its small frame and light weight make it perfect for their small hands. This is a very well built revolver and for around $300 you can't go wrong.

Ben

Theres room for all Gods creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.
  • Options
    FrogbertFrogbert Member Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For really small hands the S&W Model 637 in .38Sp+p is just superb.
    My wife loves hers. I've got a Model 19, and taught her to shoot both. The .357 magnum was just too much for her hands, and right away she was flinching, and said, "I want my "little Smith" back!,(referring to the Model 637).
    And .38sp+p has an 80% one shot stop rating with Remington Golden Sabre 125gr JHPs, so it is plenty of gun for her CCW. She can hit what she shoots at with it, believe me!

Frog.

RiBBButt...You can't rollerskate in a buffalo herd, but you can be happy if you've a mind to. -Roger Miller