In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shotgun Slugs

too_talltoo_tall Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited August 2005 in Ask the Experts
I would like to hear opinions of shotgun slug comparisons.20 Ga. versus 12 Ga. for accuracy and their ability to knock a deer down.Primarily the Sabot Slugs.And your opinion as to what brand of slugs you like.Any bad experience with with any type of slug you have used on deer.

Comments

• too_talltoo_tall Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own a Remington 870 Express which has a 24in improved cylinder slug barrel. I have been using Remington slugger rifled slugs out of it for years, but I have been told by some that it is ok to shoot the Copper Solid hollow point Sabot slugs out of it also. Is this true?
    edited November -1
    Never too old to learn....can one use slugs in a FULL choke gun?
    Garryowen
    edited November -1
    I am the new owner of an 11-87 12ga with screw-in chokes. Is it possible to shoot slugs with this gun? If so, which choke? While I am familiar with many other arms, shotguns are not my forte, so any help is appreciated.

From what I understand, there are rifled slugs, does this matter at all in the above?
    edited November -1
    hey i just got a rilfe slug barrel for my remington 870 (Best shotgun ever made) and i was wonder ing if you can shoot rifled slugs in a rifled barrel
    i haven't done this yet

just wonderin what you experts thought

-THNAKS
    edited November -1
    Do you have to use sabots while shooting out of a rifled barrel? If not, what are some good(cheap) slugs that wont fill in my rifeling after 1 shot.

Thanks,

Larry

gunanimation.gif
  • drsckdrsck Member Posts: 992
    edited November -1
    Dear Too...
    Yes, you can do it, but it's not recommended and it's not really what the rifled barrel is designed to do. I realize it causes some confusion, but a rifled barrel is for sabot slugs and a smooth barrel is for rifled slugs. Everybody finds a little bit different results, so what I ususally suggest to folks with a new barrel is to buy single boxes of several different types of saboted slugs and then test them. Barrels are a little like people--some like hamburgers and some like hotdogs--you will probably find that your barrel likes one particular model of sabot slug and that there may even be significant differences among the saboted slugs of the same manufacturer. For example, Brenneke makes (or used to make--its been a while since I checked) at least two types of sabaoted slugs and one model that you could shoot in either smooth or rifled barrels. A lot of my 870 customers liked the one that could be shot in either type barrel, and only a very few liked the standard Brenneke sabot. Best of luck and keep us posted on which slug you find works best. Steve
  • bub8889bub8889 Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not a good idea, rifled slugs are made for smooth bore. The barrel has no rifling so the rifle the slugs. Shooting them in a rifled barrel can really screw up the barrel and they are very inaccurate
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot many rifled slugs through a rifled barrel with no significant leading of the barrel and no loss of accuracy. As suggested above, you milage may vary.