In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need a new chronograph, recommendations please.

SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
edited September 2005 in Ask the Experts
Well my old chronograph gave up the ghost and its time for me to modernize anyways.
What Chronographs can any of you recommend I get or stay away from. Not looking for bottom of the barrel price but as always I want great value for the money spent.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oehler is top of the line. Spend the money and get a good one.

0311 semper fi
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I've had the chance I shot over my Chrony F1 and a Oehler with the same batch of handloads. The results were within the same +/- of the batch. So as I see it what attachments do you want and how much brag do you need.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    My Oehler 35P has been doing it's job very well for the past few years, and seems to be more consistant than a friends Chrony in all kinds of conditions.

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    The Load RoomThe Load Room Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used the Pact pc2 for eight plus years and only returned it to have the printer port installed for the HP IR printer, it was reasonably priced at Midway, came with the soft case and 24" mounting bar. The only draw back to the printer is its limited life of print (disapears after a few months, thermal paper drawback)so I have just been photo copying if I need permanant data and stapling to my targets.
  • Options
    shooter93shooter93 Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 2. A pact2 for general use and it has always worked very well. It figures most everything you'd need to do. I also recently bought a Oehler Ballistic lab for much more involved work and pressure testing but it's way more machine than most shooters would want.
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had two Chrony's, F1's, both were trouble - even after 2 trips in for repair they were intermittent and in one case very inaccurate - opened one and the soldering workmanship was horrible. Also the skyscreens broke easily and quickly -- bought a Prochrony 4 years ago for a hundred bucks and have had no trouble with it and have had no need to replace the skyscreens, they still work great and show no signs of breaking. Its just a basic unit but very reliable. Never misses a shot either. Cabelas sells them on line, still about a hundred bucks.
  • Options
    tlentlen Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Shooting Chrony Alpha Master work fine for me. It has a remote display so it is easy to see the numbers and it calculates shot string averages and standard deviation. $116 at Midway..
  • Options
    abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oehler , the way to go , back in the early 80's I worked for Winchester as a "smith" , we used the Oehlers all the time , I have talked to the owner of Oehler several times , very nice and smart man !
    Good Luck !!!
    d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Niota , Tn

My dog is the best person I know...
    If only more people could be as loyal and honest as my dog!!!

I love guns & Shooting!
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the gamma master chrony with remote control pad and printer. I have had no issues whatsoever and the readings of SD'd down into the single digits have been spot on.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've owned Speed Tach by Custom Chronograph since about 1982.It only gives velocity.
    It's been working ever since except for the two times I shot out the readout screen with fragments from disintegrating bullets in high speed experiments. I've since taped a 1/4" thick piece of Lexan to the readout face. A couple of gouges have since proved its' worth.
    The benefit is quick setup but I'd rather have a later version that gives calculated data like standard deviation, high, low and mean velocities.
    Having the electronics box with readout/ printout on the bench and remote sky screens is more convenient and protects the box from being shot though setup will be slower.