In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need advice on buying Trap Gun

boltactionboltaction Member Posts: 505 ✭✭✭
edited September 2005 in Ask the Experts
Would like to buy a trap gun not to sure of what kind to get.Would like to stay under 1200.oo.Thinking of BT-99 391 urika or m-12 win.Anyone shooting any of these how are they. Thank's for any information.

Comments

• Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    You need to talk to <bobski>...He'll be around on the forums someplace....just be patient......He's the best when it comes to Scatter Guns..

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    BT99BT99 Member Posts: 1,043
    edited November -1
    I think that you get the most bang for your buck with a BT99. I shot one for many years. Broke many 100 straight, and several 200 straight.
    Quite a few scores in the high 90's from 27 yards.
  • Options
    rollnblockrollnblock Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    find the one that fits you. that gives you the right sight picture. what fits this 5'10 140 pounder will not fit the 6' 250 pounder. twelve hundred is on the low end of trap guns. i would figure you are getting one without adjustibility.
    what kind of scatter gun do you have now? if any. does it fit you. if so try looking at that makers guns. if they make them.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    single bbl trap guns are for handicap trap. if you hang around trap a lot in the future, youre gonna want to shoot doubles. and besides, doubles are how you shoot off ties.

you need an o&u.

invest in a classic browning citori trap 30" VR with invector chokes and m/c stock. youll can thank me later after youre state champion![:)]

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, former navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction. NRA certified instructor.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    shooter93shooter93 Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can swing it get an O/U. That way all the bases are covered no matter which game you choose. if you try doubles you'll be hooked. If possible handle as many as you can. At the range I shoot at it's very common for the guys to let another shooter shoot a round or two with his gun so he gets a feel for that brand or type. I shoot a plain jane stock, it's cast off but no monte carlo or adjustable comb or butt plate. Experiment a bit if you can and buy the one that feels the most right to you.
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bobski
    single bbl trap guns are for handicap trap. if you hang around trap a lot in the future, youre gonna want to shoot doubles. and besides, doubles are how you shoot off ties.

you need an o&u.

invest in a classic browning citori trap 30" VR with invector chokes and m/c stock. youll can thank me later after youre state champion![:)]Yeppers! Raise your range up to $1,600 and you will get an excellent Citori that you will treasure the rest of your life.

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed"

. and the antithesis to this philosophy was uttered by Bill Clinton "I smoked it, but I didn't inhale."[V]

NRA Life Member
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have both a Citori and a BT100. I agree with what has been said, but I shoot the BT100 most of the time. That being said, the Citori has a safety which the Browning doesnt, which makes it only a trap gun, not usable for hunting. You can also shoot skeet with the citori, and not with a BT99. If you shop you can get either for approximately $1200. If the Citori is out, and you want one of the three mentioned, Id get the BT99 for trap.
  • Options
    BT99BT99 Member Posts: 1,043
    edited November -1
    Bobski, you must be an old skeet shooter. Ties in trap shooting are shot off in the same manner as the event, Not by shooting doubles.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cz makes some sweet O/U's. Don't know of anyone to have one though. Priced pretty fairly too.

http://www.cz-usa.com/01.05.php

I wouldn't put money on anything I say about trap anyway. I shoot trap with an OLD JC Higgins Bolt-action 16ga. Blasts the hell out of them though. Wife's gotten pretty good too!

Better to carry a pistol and not need it than need a pistol and not have it.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gave away my age!
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.