In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lazzroni .308 Patriot

Tuff Luck HunterTuff Luck Hunter Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited September 2005 in Ask the Experts
Lat spring I won a Savage 16LZ in Lazzroni's .308 Patriot. The shells I have found for it are $60 to $80 per box of 20. Does anyone know any reloaders that have these at a reasonable enough price to actually shoot and get used to this gum?

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tim,

John Lazzeroni and his proprietary cartridges are the best reasons to start learning how to reload. I think that he has a terrific product line but the prices are over the top for most of us.

Do a search for smaller, custom reloaders and see what you come up with. Check Quality Cartridge.

Personally, I would find some good used reloading equipment and get some initial help setting up and then get to work reloading. The Patriot is a good hunting cartridge and you can utilize some of the best components available when you learn to reload. The satisfaction of shooting your own self-made cartridges is worth the effort and initial cost.

Best.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    John Lazzeroni and his proprietary cartridges are the best reasons to buy something else.
  • Options
    Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,
    I have had several of the Sako Warbirds (Lazzeroni 308) and loved them. The problem was the ammo is expensive unless you hand load. The brass alone if more then 3 boxes of loaded ammo in a regular cartridge. The only good thing is you can reuse the brass up to 20 times.

I had a local gunsmith reload mine and he charged about $1.00 a loaded bullet after I supplied the brass, dies and $1.00 a pop lazerhead bullets. Performance was world class but cost drove me to getting a Sako 75 7mm Ultra.

Either deal with the cost and buy ammo to get used to it with, load your own or sell it and get a real nice rifle (Sako 75) in a catridge you can afford. The Savage patriot is bringing good money now that they don't make them outside of the $5000 Lazzeroni model. I myself would take option 3 and sell it.

Mad Dog
  • Options
    Hunter375Hunter375 Member Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    John Lazzeroni and his proprietary cartridges are the best reasons to buy something else.

Also uses proprietary powders. You will never duplicate his performance at safe presure levels with available powders.

Save the seals-club a liberal instead.