In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington 1100 LW 20g

hjk_rickhjk_rick Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
edited September 2005 in Ask the Experts
I have a Remington 1100 LW twenty that I enjoy very much. According to Remington, it was made in 1972.

I know that Remington redesigned the small frame twenties in 1977, designating the new design "LT" (and that the barrels don't interchange).

My question is:

What was Remington's rationale for the redesign? Are there safety, dimensional, or functionality differences between a LW and LT twenty?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Rick

ps - This is my first post. I've been reading this forum for some time and have been very impressed by the friendliness and accuracy of the replies. Especially the friendliness.

Comments

• Spring CreekSpring Creek Member Posts: 1,260
    edited November -1
    They did make a Lt 20 in a 3" Mag.
    Had one once and would like to find another.
    Nice balance and not too punishing.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Browning Collectors Association Life Member
  • hjk_rickhjk_rick Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies -

The LW twenty was the same frame size as the 28ga and 410.

My LW originally had a Luan Mahogany stock for extra weight savings according to Remington. The wood was so soft I could mark it with my fingernail. I sent the stock set back to Remington along with a note describing my concern and they replaced with it with a very nice Black Walnut LT stock. So I know the stocks interchange between LW and LT at least.

Thanks,
    Rick
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe the question was on differences between the Light 20 and Light Weight 20 Remington 1100 not between Standard 20 which used the larger, 12 gauge frame and the smaller framed LT20 & LW 20
    Both LT 20 and LW 20 had the smaller frame but the LW 20 had the lighter Mahogany stock.
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bingo. it was the stock.
    for the record if anyone is taking notes, the SA, and SB grades were same as the 12ga frame. need one?[:D] fyi, thats not pitting, thats coz, baby!
    sbrcvr.jpg
    former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, former navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction. NRA certified instructor.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know the Std frame will only use bbl's made for that frame. Will any of the LT and LW 20ga bbl's interchange?

7_2_120.gif
    "Aim small, Miss small"
    edited November -1
    best of my knowledge, no.
    had something to do with the bbl chamber extention dimensions when its slid into the receiver.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bob, that was my understanding also, just wanted to make sure for future reference.

7_2_120.gif
    "Aim small, Miss small"
    edited November -1
    The barrel extension on the LT twenty is longer and contains an ejector stud. The LW extension is shorter (like an 870).

I think the ejection ports are shaped different too.

I prefer the receiver decoration on the older 1100's. The pattern is simpler and more elegant the the new. Bobski's skeet has the newer style.

Does any body have a picture of an LT and LW side by side?

Thanks,
    Rick
  • TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I noticed Bobski's Skeet gun doesn't have the extended slot cut that extends from the back of the bolt handle cut-out towards the rear of the receiver that my Lt. 20 has. What year did they add that modification?

"Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away." Thoreau
    edited November -1
    not sure, but keep in mind my b grade is nothing more than a 20 built on a 12ga receiver, thus its really a 12ga receiver.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
    edited November -1
    TW - My LW twenty has the narrow slot that extends back from the bolt handle cutout.

Speaking of barrel differences - there is a picture of the type of barrel extension that my LW has in the 1100 410 post by rmill .

Rick
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an LT 20 Special, that had a plain barrel on it. For years I looked for a ribbed barrel to fit it, but was told the gun was made for only one year or so and the new LTs wouldnt fit it. The serial number is PO12000K, and recently I was told the new barrel will fit it, so I bought a ribbed barrel and it works great. I only wish I had screw in chokes, but I cant give any more information than this. The new barrel says (star)20GA LT-20**. It is improved cylindar. It is marked 2 3/4 inch shells. I would appreciate any more data on this gun. (year) Mine also has the narrow slot.