In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester prototype model 12 Shotgun

icuasiamicuasiam Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited April 2006 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone help me with a reference for information on this gun? It's an all aluminum Winchester 12 Gauge shotgun with the serial number 1L-S. The story I have is that there were two of these prototypes made and while the one I have was at Eddie Sauer's shop for a special Hydracoil stock, the other one blew up during testing and the project was scrapped. The gun came into the possession of Art Blatt. I'm also told that Dockweiler had a hand in the stock building. Apparently there was an article about the gun in Guns&Ammo magazine sometime in the 70's written by Mr Blatt but I can't seem to find a way into their archives to retrieve it. The gun was last owned by Gerald Eubanks. I would be eternally grateful for any information anyone out there has on it.
Thanks in advance, Bud Wilson.

Comments

• Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Bud,

I partially answered this question for you over on the WACA forum.
  • icuasiamicuasiam Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry Bert, I don't know what "WASA" forum is.
  • only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello icuasiam: He means the winchester forum that you posted the same question on! you might want to read what I posted over there under your question.

Regards Dave
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by icuasiam
    Sorry Bert, I don't know what "WASA" forum is.

Winchester Arms Collector Association (WACA)
    edited November -1
    Hello everyone: Bud just sent pictures to me. This was a proto-type gun the Winchester built up to proof the floating chamber concept and interchangeable barrels used on the Md 50 I belive. From there they actually built the first Md 50 on a Md 12 receiver and front end.

Quite a unique piece of winchester history.

Regards to all!

Dave
    edited November -1
    I still have a need to document this gun.
    If anyone has a copy of the Guns&Ammo magazine that had an article by Art Blatt about this gun I'd be willing to buy it or pay for a copy or whatever it takes. I don't what issue it was. I'm shooting in the dark here.
    Any other discussion is welcomed.
    edited November -1
    I'll have to modify my previous thoughts here. when reviewing the pictures the receiver didn't demonstrate the typical anodize wear patterns of the Md 50 Featherweight or Md 59, so I guessed it was chrome-molly. Bud checked it and it's definately aluminum, (non-magnetic)

So I would now say this was a prototype built to proof the aluminum alloy used in the Md 50 Featherweight and later the Md 59.

Since this is technically a One of a Kind gun, I sent Bud, Dave Riffles web site and phone numbers, so he could talk to Dave the real expert on Model 12s!!

Hopefully bud will get back to all of us after he talks with Dave Riffle.

Regards to all

Dave
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you can narrow down the year, i can find the article. i have all g&a back to 73.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
    edited November -1
    Allright BOBSKI! It is believed to be in the 89-92 time frame. I'm told the article was about this gun and two others. The title of the article is not known to me. The only key I can offer is that the article is said to have been written by Art Blatt.
    If all this sounds iffy ("Believed to be", "I'm told that") my leads are based on oral history and stuff tends to get somewhat altered through time. There are more than a few things I was told about the history of this gun that have proven to be in error as the search unfolds.
    Thanks a million for caring.
    Bud Wilson.
    edited November -1
    Bobski, I just came from talking to the previous owner and he changed his mind. He now thinks the article was in the mid 70s.
    I'm sorry but neither one of us is a spring chicken and time dims memories.
    Thanks again, Bud Wilson.
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ok, click my name and email me so when this topic goes locked, i can call you if i find it.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.