In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Wehrmacht 45's Moose hunters revisited

I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
I wish nononsense would tone down his VERY informative and complete chunks of information!

Now I want to build a 9.3 x 64 Brenneke and a .375 Ruger. I'm working now on a .460 Short A-Square.
I've been called crazy and goofy for taking a .375 H&H, .338 Win Mag, hot loaded .45-70, .510 Wells, etc. to hunt deer, bear and pigs. They say I'm wierd and not very smart to go over-gunned for timid animals like these.

I say that I hunt to kill edible animals- about 20 percent and to shoot exciting rifles - 80 percent. If I just wanted meat I'd go buy it at the meat market, - cheaper.

Comments

• Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    I have been called the same. I went hunting with a 6.5x52 Carcano once.
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been hunting Whitetails with a .35 Whelan for 25 years. I load it down, but it's still a very cool cartridge.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This belongs in General Discussion don't ya think.

CP
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    Not really since this is a continuation of my earlier question on good big game calibers to use in a Mauser platform.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Brenneke and the Ruger are both superb cartridges. No hyper-velocity but lots of energy. There is the 8 x 68S also. All of these fit in the standard Mauser actions because that's what they were designed to do.

Here's something to look at:

9.3x62_9.3x64_8.5x64Imp.
    93x629m3x6483x64kjgpatrwx9.jpg

8x68S
    8x68staraspatronedy4.jpg

Best.
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a couple of friends that have the attitude that if you can't buy the cartridge, for cheap, at the local gunshop/big5 then it isn't worth having. I have never really gotten along with these ideas. Us rifle/cartridge loonies may be misunderstood, but we do have fun. I can see building a 9.3 if you have a good M98 action laying around, but not say using a 1917enfeild action. Before that I'd just buy a CZ 550 and be done with it. Have fun with it.........