In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W 4516-1 vs. 4516-2

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
I'm not a S&W semi-auto expert. However, I do like their compact .45 ACP pistols. I've owned 2 457's over the years and I'm in the middle of trying to purchase a 4516. I've been hunting around and I've even placed a bid for a 4516-1.

Does anyone know the difference between a 4516-1 and a 4516-2? Like I said, I probably know less about S&W semi-autos than any other semi-auto on the market. I may just buy one of each.

Comments

• Options
    MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is some reading that I use for S&W Models:

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg01-e.htm

But I see what you are trying to figure is what is the -1 or -2, and that isn't in the handy web reference.... I would call Smith & Wesson. My guess is a design modification.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only thing noted in the S & W Book, re changes between -1 and -2. Is date of production. The 4516-2 was made from 1994 to 1999. The -1 was made prior to this date.

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense, to my way of thinking. If S & W went to the trouble of changing the engineering identifier, something must have been changed.

If your buying one of each, you best be getting a copy of Supica & Nahas book on the S & W. It's up to the 3rd edition now, and considered the bible by S & W collectors.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the 3rd edition, & the description of the engineering changes to the 4516 is even more enigmatic than that in rufe-snow's edition. But, I think that the authors are trying to say that the -2 doesn't have the same slide & frame rounding as the earlier versions.

I can't imagine there is much of a difference in any of the engineering changes. But, if you want to get down to that level of specialization, get the (no -) model, as that is more collectible than either of the later changes.

Neal
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    In addition to any minor design changes, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that more parts are MIM'ed on the later versions.