In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question about Sig P226

breakerdanbreakerdan Member Posts: 364 ✭✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
How reliable is the Sig p226 in 357 Sig.
What about service life, accuracy, and reliability
compared to say a Glock or 1911 A1?

Comments

• Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    Well I would say the Glock has the edge on reliability and service life. I have seen several Glocks with over 100k rounds through them.

The 1911 would have the edge accuracy wise if built right, and the steel frame would probably wear a bit better than the sigs alloy frame.

The Sig is a good service gun. Its reliable, easily combat accurate, and light due to its alloy frame. However, some prefer the DA/SA trigger on it to the basically SAO triggers on the others. The decocker is a nice addition as well.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    About this time last year we had a big sale on factory reconditioned P226's, in one day we sold 73 of them and 20 of those went to co-workers. I have never had one of those guns, or any other Sig I have every sold, returned for any sort of malfunction. Out of the co-workers that bought the guns I have never been told of a FTF or FTE. I also have several friends who hav been shooting 226's for 20 years and they have also never had a problem.

I cannot say this about any other pistol that I sell at my shop, it does not matter if it is a Glock, Berreta, S&W, Ruger, FN, or any of the others, they have all had problems. The only one that I have not had come back has been Sig.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably the most reliable combination. A proven reliable platform (Sig P226) and a bottleneck cased cartridge (gives more reliable feeding). And I'm not the biggest fan of the .356 caliber, but even I'd carry that combination.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I've owned 7 Sigs, and have NEVER had one choke on me.One 226 I have had for about 20 yrs is still one of the most accurate ones I own. I would put them right there with Glock, and over a 1911, which I have some of both.
  • Options
    cheezecheeze Member Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sigs rock. In my opinion/experience the Sig will be as reliable as the Glock, more reliable then the 1911, as accurate as the 1911, and more accurate then the glock. Oh, and they'll last forever too, you should buy many.
  • Options
    cheezecheeze Member Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PS If you really like the 1911 they make those too.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by breakerdan
    How reliable is the Sig p226 in 357 Sig.
    What about service life, accuracy, and reliability
    compared to say a Glock or 1911 A1?

Out of the box it will be as accurate if not more so than service versions of the other two, though lots of work can be done to make 1911s super-accurate.

Its certainly more than adequate accuracy-wise for service work, but if super-super accuracy is your goal (ie you want to shoot it in bullseye competition), there are better choices.

Also, the 357 SIG cartridge itself is fairly accurate.

Service life? In the real world, probably not an issue. Unless you plan on putting a lot more than 50,000 rounds through it you won't wear it out. At that point the cost of the gun is negligible anyway compared to the cost of the ammo.

Its hard to compare directly to Glocks or 1911s, since there are so many variants of each, but the 226 has been "torture tested" with thousands of rounds, and is about as reliable as you're going to get in a semi-automatic pistol. Again, not really an issue.

Also, (for what its worth), unlike the other two, the 226 has a true double-action and therefore will give you a "double-strike" second trigger pull attempt to discharge an unfired round.

With a 1911, you'd have to manually cock it for that sort of attempt, and with a Glock you'd have to partially retract the slide.

If you like a double-action (personally I do), its a good choice.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wehrmacht_45
    Well I would say the Glock has the edge on reliability and service life. I have seen several Glocks with over 100k rounds through them.Coincidentally, just a couple of days ago I visited with a group of instructor/armorers from a federal agency that issues SIG pistols. This bunch fires a ton of rounds on a regular basis and mentioned having 100,000+ round count pistols in their inventory. They said guns like this could be found in any of their field offices-no big deal.

Also, ever wonder how many rounds our military puts through all those M11 SIG's, particularly the SEAL's? Keep in mind too, this design is actually considered obsolete by SIG.

The Glock definitely isn't the only pistol capable of high round counts.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    shot my 226 in 9mm well over 100,000 rounds. cracked the slide rails. no fixing it. sig gave me 150 towards a trade for a retread 226. those 100,000 rounds were TZZ ball. hot ball will kill the alloy frame. SEALS have mandantory rebuilds at 100,000.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.