In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need Help ID'ing Ammunition Please

SegsadSegsad Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
I'm new to this forum and plan on selling some vintage ammunition in the near future. Between myself and two buddies, there's quite a lot to go through, now most is marked or Identifiable, these two are not, can anybody help? On the bottom of the red tops is stamped L S 5 3 and another case is stamped R A 5 2. Thanks for looking..
001-1.jpg
002-1.jpg
003-1.jpg
004.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "red tops" are .30-06 blanks in an M1 Garand clip.

I don't know about the others, 7.62x54R maybe, but I am not up on communist surplus. Condition looks poor, good luck on selling it.
  • Options
    DieHard4DieHard4 Member Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    The "red tops" are .30-06 blanks in an M1 Garand clip.

I don't know about the others, 7.62x54R maybe, but I am not up on communist surplus. Condition looks poor, good luck on selling it.

I agree. I think the first ones are 7.62x54R too, perhaps 1950's area? I don't know about anyone buying them as they are selling the tins of the same ammo right now from the 40's and 50's, and they are in much better shape.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the help. Agree on the condition, I just grabbed one from the top, have not began to sort yet.
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jap 6.5MM and early US 06 blanks.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the 6.5 Japanese ID and would add that ANY original milatary 6.5 on strippers is rare, and also liable to be a little iffy...the Empire was at various points having a hard time maintaining quality control. At least I would say that the 6.5 is not pedestrian stuff and should be sold (albeit with serious and repeated collector ammo only caveats) for a fairly good pop.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    HHMMM, so I have two possibilities on the stripper ammunition. My neighbor also thought Japanese. And if it is, my guess would be WWII era, is it disrespectful to sell it?
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, the Garand blanks are circa Korean war (1952)

The stripper clipped stuff I question, can you measure the bullet diameter and case length? 6.5mm will be about .264", nominal 30 cal stuff is .308, while the 7.62x54R and 303 Brit are in the .310-.312 range (8mm Mauser is .323).

In normal numbers, the stripper clip stuff would also be of the same vintage (1953).
    The japs stopped using the 6.5 during WW-2.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Segsad
    HHMMM, so I have two possibilities on the stripper ammunition. My neighbor also thought Japanese. And if it is, my guess would be WWII era, is it disrespectful to sell it?

No. You want to make money, buyer wants it to go 'bang' (or collect-non shooting).

There's no religious/political/emotional significance to the items photographed. Joe
    EDIT:
    Understood your post below. Makes sense. Also, the emotional aspect is a very valid reason for collecting. It's all up to who wants it, and for reasons only known to themselves. Millions of German surplus ammo bullets out there being sold W/O any regard to anything but the economics of the sale. I don't think the country of origin factors in here.

Now, if you had lampshades made from human skin, or soap rendered from human fat, I'd be in complete accordance with your sentiment. Best, Joe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you both for responses. I'll have to get a mic before listing anything, have no way of measuring yet, unless I used a ruler! Probably not exact enough,but just laying there, looks like 3.2mm bullet length and.7mm width. The case is 5mm length/ 1.1mm width. Again, I need a better measuring tool.Off to Sear's I go...

On the making money part, I have no care about religous or Political issues,but the emotional implications of certain "Collectable" items does matter. I just as soon destroy something than make a dollar off another man's sweat. Givette, that's not meant to flame you, I appreciate an honest answer, just thought I should be more clear..
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This thread will probably be locked after this post, 10 post rule, so simply start another one.

BTW, your ruler is in cm, and the single lines are mm [:)]

I've refered to a couple of headstamp referances, and find NO LS codes, can you take a good photo of just the headstamp? I'll cross post your photo (and demintions) on a cartridge collectors board to see if they can come up with something.

I also searched another database for ANY cartridge with a 50mm case and a 11mm rim, and only came up with one possible military round, and that's the 6.5x52 Carcano. However with some better numbers, we can probably come up with some other possabilities.