In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Duracoat and Value????

Sith LordSith Lord Member Posts: 480
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have a Smith and Wesson model 29-3. It is in good shape. Mostly just normal wear from use, although it does have some minor scratches. I was considering duracoating it. Even though I would never sell it I don't want this to reduce value.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you should leave it alone. The gun paints are for cheap guns in bad condition. They are, after all, just paint.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    unless there is a forum where members appreciate duracoat on a firearm,..you will lose value. Now, if YOU want a duracoated pistol,..then that is a moot point.
  • Options
    Sith LordSith Lord Member Posts: 480
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the fast responses. I think I will just leave it alone.
  • Options
    MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Kel-Tec PF-9 and I had the slide Duracoated. I did this as the bluing on the slide was so-so and I just wanted to get something duracoated. Although I am happy with the results, I do not think it added or deleted from the value of the gun.

Before
    IMG_3132.jpg

After
    IMG_3156.jpg
    Regards, MAALOX
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,501 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If we are talking about a piece that is available in 77% of the gun stores in town - it doesn't matter - do whatever you want. Priceless inherited or high-end modern arms - heck no.

B.T.W. - Nice job on the PF-9 guy.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,663 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    maalox that is really cool looking-nice job!
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,886 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you use your 29 outdoors in nasty weather the duracoat will protect it better than plain bluing. If you want a novel looking piece duracoat can do that, too. I don't think the value of a somewhat doggy S&W 29 will be hurt much by an overcoat and if it prevents rust and pitting later on you're way ahead of the game.