In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Unknown shotgun

mkaufman123mkaufman123 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hello,

I have a pump-action 12 gauge with a multiple choke changer. The only I.D. on it is TRULINE DELUXE FROM EATONS. Looks like a Mossberg. The choke at the tip of the barrel says, MAGNUM MASTER SHOOTER. I heard that Mossberg had made a line of these (throw away shotguns) I do appreciate it, If you could help me out in this. I am in search of the full breech that is inside it. It was cheaply made with white metal. The one inside is broken.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I found a 20ga side by side, 2 triggers, with the word "hibacht" on the top of both barrels. The metal has engraving on it and appears to be heat treated as the color is blue/red..etc. There is no maker name anywhere on it. The barrels have hearts engraved the entire circumference at the receiver. They are about 1/4 ich tall. Inside these hearts is a small symbol similiar to the new orleans saints (fleur de lis). There is quite a bit of scroll type engraving on the gun and it has a small piece of engraved metal on the bottom of the forearm. Anyone have any idea of the maker or value?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I received a muzzle loading double barreled shotgun from my grandfather's estate. It uses firing caps that fit over a nipple. It has the word "Parker" engraved on both side panels just above the triggers.
    I can not find anything that resembles this gun in any literature or books that talk about Parker shotguns. In fact they seem to all say that all Parker shotguns are of a breaktop style, which this one is not, and that they are engraved with text that states the guns were made for Chas Parker. There are no serial numbers visable, and no other markings. I assume this gun was manufactured on or before 1860, but can not be sure.

Can you give me any information, I could email photos of the gun if that would help.

Thanksshotgun-right-side-Parker-e.jpg

shotgun-right-side-copy1.jpg

shotgun-right-side-Parker-e.jpg

shotgun-right-side-copy1.jpg

Shotgun-barrel-engravings-n.jpg

Here is a photo of the barrel engraving that I found after removing the barrel. It does appear to have the "ELG" markings along with a number that appears to be "186", the initials J.V, a "N" with a star above it and a "T" with a star above it. It also has the number "4" on each barrel along with a "44" on the underside of the barrel below the small site. Hope this helps.

Thanks again.

That should help a little...
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,713 ******
    edited November -1
    Remove the forearm and look for proofmarks on the underside of the barrels near the receiver. You may find "ELG" which would be Belgian manufacture or crossed halberds (scepters) which would be British.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Its possible that its a William Parker, London, England..1790-1840...Shotgun, Flintlock.....Shotgun, Percussion......But like the Man said...We need Photos and a complete and total discription.....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by captkirk3@dslextreme.com
    Its possible that its a William Parker, London, England..1790-1840...Shotgun, Flintlock.....Shotgun, Percussion......But like the Man said...We need Photos and a complete and total discription.....

I have added several photos, but if you need more let me know what you are looking for both in photos and discription, I'm new at this.

Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Whats stamped on the Bottom of the Barrels...at the Breech End...?
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mkaufman123,

Where did you add the new photos? You need to post them here if you'd like to get our input. If you need help, let me know.

Best.
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The ELG mark indicates made in Belgium, in Liege a city well known for making guns. Also well known for marking their guns with the names of famous American and English makers. Gun looks in great condition - some wash of the sharp lines may indicate being refinished at some time but still great for a mid 1800s gun.

Well said Perry Shooter!
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Refinished Belgium made percussion double shotgun.
    It's not a valuable gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If I was asking about it's value this might mean something, but what I am looking for is information on it's manufacture and history.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,107 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello UNLIKE today with a fairly small number of Companies making fire-arms 150 years ago there were many more smaller companies . NOWHERE was this more the case then in EUROPE . and Belgium was one place were you had hundreds if not thousands of one man Cottage gun makers . The proof marks on yours is BELGIUM and it is a nice refinished Gun however I don't think you will be able to tell more then that it is 1850's- 1890's Belgium made. It is clear that this gunmaker wanted to make people think they were getting a PARKER and did not want to put a Belgium name on his work . At that time it was sort of like after WW II we did not think as highly of guns made in Japan in the late 1800's Belgium was in the same boat.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all your input, I certainly know more then when I started out, and you have given me enough basic info that I have been able to find some other leads on the internet. I have located several books that talk to this subject. They will be coming through my local library and may have additional information.

Thanks again