In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

AR-7 Rifle

vcmi60vcmi60 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited November 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have an AR-7 .22 rifle by Charter Arms but instead of the plastic floating butt stock, it has a factory wood stock that makes it look like an M-1 Carbine. I could send a picture if I figure out how. I would like to sell this rifle but it seems to be rare and I have not seen any for sale. Did it have a special name, I know the pistol version was different. Any help would be appreciated. Jerry in Idaho.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't recall seeing one. Had one of the Explorer II handgun versions, years back.

From some of our previous topics on this board, some folks collect the various versions of the AR-7. You might post some photos of the one you have so it can be substantiated as being factory original. As the original AR-7's had removable stocks it's always possible that yours has either a aftermarket or home made wooden stock.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    When the AR-7 was popular there were quite a few aftermarket set ups. Since you could easily use the action and barrel it was quite easy for "cool" aftermarket set up.

I can't remember them all, but yours is most likely not anything "rare", just cool. I do remember one looking like an M-1 but wouldn't have a clue of the name anymore.

Sorry I can't help more. Hopefully we will hear from someone with more knowledge.

Best of luck.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    If my feeble memory serves me right, Herter's made those stock kits and one that made them look like a Thompson MG.
    It might be worth a little more that a regular one.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    This version was known as the AR-7/CS and could be ordered as a complete rifle for $64.50 instead of the $49.95 price for the standard rifle, or as an extra for $26.80. The conventional stocked rifle was not a popular configuration, was not offered for very long and very few were sold. If you have the box and the original paperwork there may well be some collector interest, otherwise the full stock rifle is quite likely to be as unpopular with buyers today as it was 40 years ago.
  • vcmi60vcmi60 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the information, I know that this is a factory option, because it fits so nicely, A screw goes up thru the pistol grip just like the plastic ones. The butt is wood all the way back and has a ridged pattern, no butt plate. It can be taken out of the stock and put on the plastic version. Thanks again for the information.