In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Springfield 84C

Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have an old Springfield 84C (.22) that was my dads. On the receiver there are two screws that I am guessing are there to install a scope mount. I don't have a single scoped rifle and was thinking it might be fun to put one on this guy. Anyone know if the mounts are available anywhere? I'm thinking this rifle is from the 1930's so probably not but thought I would ask.

Comments

• 41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    The screws on the left rear side of the receiver are for a receiver sight. If your screws are on the top of the receiver then they are probably for a scope base - but which one is a good question.
  • Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks - they are on the left side so not for a scope but a reciver sight. Any idea if they are around or available?
  • TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do a search for an application chart for both Williams and Lyman reciever sights. Lyman are better IMHO.
    I've found a bunch of sights for .22s in "junk" boxes at gun shows.
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    According Jay Kimmels "Savage & Stevens Arms Collectors History" the Model 84 and 084 (as yours should be) are drilled & tapped for Weaver Telescope sights.
    The rear peep is described as "the typical Stevens 3 aperture sighting disc." Pretty vague.
    My guess is that it is the same or simliar to one I had on an old Model 66. And when Kimmels describes it as "basic", he means basic. ( I took mine off & sold it in favor of a barrel mounted rear sight).
    You might try posting your question on the Rimfirecentral.com Savage Forum. Or the 24 hour campfire.com Savage forum, to see if anyone has one and can help w/1st hand knowledge.
    There was a guy on Rimfirecentral (Shelbyfan) who was making repro's of the "basic" Stevens rear peeps. And I believe "Bobs Gunparts" had some repro's as well. Sorry couldn't help more.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the info. I the rear sight is "basic" then I stick with the barrel mounted on unless I can find a scope to mount. I try the other locations.
  • hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    weaver made a side mount that fit the 84c i had one on mine.i also have a small scope called boone its about 3 1/2 " long and fits the holes.I collect small scopes and dont want to get rid of it.tks hedge[:D]
  • fhudikfhudik Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am looking for a peep sight for an old but mint Springfield 84C. Fatstrat, gave some good info, but I am not having any luck finding one.

Buy the way, I have a weaver scope side mount that fits like a champ on the weapon and works like a champ.

Any help with the peep sight would be great. Thanks.

Frank
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone.