In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sako extractor ?

litetriggerlitetrigger Member Posts: 320 ✭✭
edited September 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have an older Sako 222 (clip model) it looks like the extractor has gone bad. Anyone know how it is removed? and where to get a new one? thanks

Comments

• Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sako Collectors Club (you should be able to google them, I got poofed for trying to provide the link once) should be able to help.
    Looking at my .222 clip fed I'm darned if I can figure out how to remove the extractor. Is it visibly damaged, or perhaps inhibited by a weak spring (if there is one) or gunk? If you don't see anything that looks bad, I'd strip the bold as far possible, soak in a good degreaser, blow it out, lightly lube, and try again.
    Good luck, and let us know what you find out. I may be in your shoes one day.
    Rob
    p.s. Looking at the owners manual for a 579 I sold recently it looks like it may (or may not) have a similar extractor set up to our pre-Vixens. If so there does appear to be a spring at the bottom of a hole to rear of the extractor and running along the centerline of the bolt. Maybe it comes out something like the Ruger 77/22 extractors; i.e. rearward pressure on the tip of extractor and lifted out????
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a version of the Sako L-46 detachable box magazine .222 like yours. If the extractor has gone bad you will probably need the services of a gunsmith. The claw is fitted into the slot and retained by some internal mechanism. I just tore mine down trying to figure it out, but no luck. Sorry. Good luck
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cut and pasted
    John, It has a Sako extractor that was made by Sako especially for the Sako L46 action. It removes by lifting the lip of the extactor away from the center of the bolt which lifts an integral pin on the bottom of the extractor out of place and then the extractor slides forward on a dovetail cut into the bolt body. If your action has a squared off bolt shroud with safety on the bolt shroud, the action is a L46 action and all L46's with the .222 sized bolt face have the extractor yours has.

http://www.gun-parts.com/sako/ $35 222 extractor call and ask
  • Options
    The JaegerThe Jaeger Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try James Bartol (JB) at Accuflite Arms (www.accuflite.com). JB maybe able to help you.
  • Options
    cody45cody45 Member Posts: 570 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Charlie 007 is correct. If you have the Dehass book "Bolt action rifles" the extractor for the small sako is covered well.