In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Glock 27 vs S&W MP 40 compact

keithpixkeithpix Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
edited September 2012 in Ask the Experts
Been pondering over which to buy? Pros and cons of each?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They're both fine.
    Honestly, whichever gun you like better is the better gun for you.
    (Check sights, trigger feel, grip angle/etc).

Pros and cons?

-Glock parts and accessories are a lot more readily available. The gun itself is also simpler, and easy to do work on yourself. So if you're into customization the Glock makes it easier.

-M&P lets you field strip it without pulling the trigger. This really shouldn't be a big deal, but apparently the are * who accidentally discharge their guns because they forget to check the chamber before stripping them.

IIRC, the M&P has an ambidextrous slide release, so that could be helpful if you're lefty.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are looking for a light carry gun, that is accurate and reliable, it is hard to beat the Glock. Unless you are stuck on those two choices, you might want to check out the Kahr CW-40.

Best
  • Options
    keithpixkeithpix Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I actually had the Kahr and it had feeding problems. I was told to shoot about 500 rounds through it and it would fix itself! Needless to say, I got rid of it.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by keithpix
    I actually had the Kahr and it had feeding problems. I was told to shoot about 500 rounds through it and it would fix itself! Needless to say, I got rid of it.

I'd hate to spend another $300.00 in ammo breking a gun in to shoot as it should also.

I have Glocks and have been looking at a compacts. Another possibility to consider might be Springfield
  • Options
    511pe511pe Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Glock's 2 stage recoil spring assembly might cause some issues with the larger spring moving past the flanged guide sleeve. The M&P I feel would function more reliably with respect to the recoil spring assembly. F.Y.I. A well designed gun shouldn't need to wear in to function. It should function and function smoother as it goes. I never had a gun function after failing to function and forcing it to run. I feel it should work right first then smooth out.
  • Options
    the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 511pe
    The Glock's 2 stage recoil spring assembly might cause some issues with the larger spring moving past the flanged guide sleeve. The M&P I feel would function more reliably with respect to the recoil spring assembly. F.Y.I. A well designed gun shouldn't need to wear in to function. It should function and function smoother as it goes. I never had a gun function after failing to function and forcing it to run. I feel it should work right first then smooth out.

Glock will issue a replace assembly. The new design fixes that problem....and Glock will ship it for FREE!!!! No questions asked, no serial number asked, no model number asked.....they only ask your address....thats it!