In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mosin-Nagant question.....

EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
edited September 2012 in Ask the Experts
Well folks I was up all night, did not get any sleep and while trying to keep quiet so as to not wake the girls I was looking at loading books and found the information below.

Here is my question, can you tell who made the different guns? Anyway to know a Rem from a Win? I had no idea that these were made here at home.

The 7.62x54mmR cartridge was adopted by Russia in 1891 for use in the Model 1891 Mosin-Nagant military rifle, Many of these rifles were manufactured in the United States by Winchester, Remington and New England Westinghouse under contracts with the Imperial Russian government. After the Bolshevik revolution in 1917, these rifles were undeliverable, and the U.S. government aquired those on hand, amounting to about 280,000 rifles. Many of these were later sold to NRA members through the Director of Civilian Marksmanship, and 7.62mm Russian sporting ammunition consequently became quite popular in America. It was loaded for many years by Remington, but discontinued in about 1950.
Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.

Comments