In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

glass bedding dilemma

cwhuntsalotcwhuntsalot Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited September 2012 in Ask the Experts
[?]Friends, I am in the mood to replace a few of my synthetic and plain jane factory stocks with prettier sticks. I have attempted to glass bed several of them and seem to keep having the same problem with every one. I am using West System marine grade glass resin with the slow acting hardener. after letting it set for 18-24 hours it hairlips half the county trying to separate the metal from the wood. After cleaning up the releasing agent and the void filler (I've been using modeling clay) when I try to put the action back into the stock it will not go. So I end up with my Dreml grinding until it will fit. Well now it has new voids and needs to be bedded. What am I doing wrong?[:(!]
Thanx Curtis

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I liked the thicker 2 part epoxy (the old MicroBed) not sure what I'd use now. Dried enough to pull in 8hrs. I paste wax the parts the day before then use a spray release agent. Lost a very nice tiger stripe maple stock due to bonding in the bbl channel.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I usually use the Brownell's Steel Bed, two part bedding epoxy. I also, usually just pillar bed, and free float the barrel. Pillars are much more stable than bedding compound alone, and will produce better uniformity. I also use Hornady One Shot case lube for my release agent. It seems to have a wax base that releases well. n I also have some teflon based release agents, that form a dry film after they are sprayed on, that work well too.

Unfortunately, there is not much you can do with todays junk injection molded stocks. Yes, they are just that cheaply made...screw over the customer, to justify a bean counter's salary.

I know some other's on here use Marine Tex for their bedding needs, with great results.

Best
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Odds are it's your recoil lug that's bedded to close.

Clean the front and sides of the lug with alcohol and apply some masking tape to those areas. Trim away the excess once you're sure the tape is stuck to stay.

After your bedding agent hardens remove the tape and reassembly should be easier.
  • wilmamaewilmamae Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    After the holes are filled with clay but before the release agent apply electrical tape to the bottom and front (muzzle side) of the recoil lug. Trim with exacto knife for perfict fit with no overhangs. Coat with release agent and bed. After u remove the action and clean up the space from the tape provides clearance for easy assemply.
  • cwhuntsalotcwhuntsalot Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thank everyone for all of your advice. it gives me new hope that maybe i CAN bed an action properly
    Thanx Curtis
  • F7sonF7son Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get Devcon 2 part aluminum or steel epoxy. Best and easy to use.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cwhuntsalot,

I have sent you a link to an article that has illustrations and lots of text describing the perfect bedding techniques. Use it with surety that it will work out for the best if you follow the instructions carefully.

Best.