In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Beretta Model 38/42 machine gun

alligator123alligator123 Member Posts: 145 ✭✭
edited September 2012 in Ask the Experts
A friend of mine was rummaging through his deceased grandfathers attic and ran across this small rifle and wanted to know what it was. After some research, he found it to be the Beretta Model 38/42 which I told him was a class 3 weapon. Question is what can he do with it, if he doesn't want to get a class 3 license. I think they were produced between 1942 & 1945 in a 9mm.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it wasn't registered before May 1986, it won't ever be.

Best bet is to contact a lawyer who can contact hte BATFE about legal disposal. Right now whoever is in possession of it could end up in the fed pen for a long time....

It may be worth taking apart, cutting the receiver per BATFE specs, and selling the remainder as a parts kit.
  • Options
    bnocentibnocenti Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take all the internal parts out and take the receiver off the stock. Then torch the receiver.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now that you have told the BATF here,,,I would do something bno said,--darn shame though -
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's a $10k piece if you had the correct paperwork but I'm guessing that's why it was tucked away in the attic. I'm not sure what state you live in but you may want to make sure if you have the mag for it that it's not illegal in your state to have a high capacity mag. Being originally from NJ I pity anyone that lives in that state.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No point in taking it apart; the parts are worthless. You can't even get a dummy receiver for it.

On the bright side, ATF sometimes transfers contraband historical guns to the US Military Museum System. Your friend might be able to get a tax deduction for his donation.

Neal
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember an old man in a City I used to work in died in the early 1990's...he was a European theater WWII vet. His family went through the house to catalog his items for an estate sale and found that he had two fully functional MG-42's in the garage attic that he somehow got home as war trophies.

The family turned them over to the PD because none of the local museums wanted to deal with the hassle of acquiring unpapered machine guns. They're probably rebar in some freeway by now. [:(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The barrel for this is by far not worthless. I'm sure you could easily get $500 if you can get it out and it has a good barrel you just have to find a person doing a rewatt. Also the stock and mag should be worth a bit as long as they are in good shape. The internal parts your guess is as good as mine. This is not a smg that you normally see in the states. As long as it's demilled you can sell it as a display piece. IMA-usa sells a lot of demilled smgs if you demill it you may want to contact them to sell it.
  • Options
    alligator123alligator123 Member Posts: 145 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the input. My friend will be disappointed but it he definitely needed to know what he was in possession of.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by llama
    If it wasn't registered before May 1986, it won't ever be.

Best bet is to contact a lawyer who can contact hte BATFE about legal disposal. Right now whoever is in possession of it could end up in the fed pen for a long time....

It may be worth taking apart, cutting the receiver per BATFE specs, and selling the remainder as a parts kit.

January 1, 1969