In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Front (angle) screw on Ruger 77

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have a newer Ruger 77 Hawkeye. In trying to remove the action from the stock, I found that the front screw refused to budge. I did finally get it out. I used a well-fitting screw driver, had my wife hold the rifle, and attached 18" handled channel lock to the screw driver handle. It started to move and after a quarter turn, I could turn it by hand. On inspection, the screw looks like it has a plastic insert into the screw thread. Anyone else run up against this?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen those type screws. They are to screws what nylocks are to nuts.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The nylon plugs are typical on many Ruger screws though I've never encountered one on the 77's. I have 2 Hawkeyes and I'll double check but don't recall that either has that type of screw. That said, I have encountered the same "hard to start" problem. When it happened to me the blade was of the proper slot width but too wide for the screw head and was binding on the side of the floor plate hinge. You might want to look at that part of the hinge and see if that could be a factor??