In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CZ-82 kicks

goodshot45acpgoodshot45acp Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited October 2012 in Ask the Experts
I shot a CZ-82 and compared to a 380 that I tried, the CZ has a lot of kick yet The horrnady ballistics info is exactly the same (PSI and velocity) for both the 9x18 and the 380 (sorry for the run on sentence [;)] ).
I've heard changing the recoil spring from the standard 14.5 pounds to a 18 pound helps. Other peole say it doesn't. Does anyone have experience in this/any answers from trying this with this or other psitols?
thanks
-Phil

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would try ammo with a lighter bullet weight, if possible. In my personal experience there is a difference in recoil and muzzle rise when a lighter bullet is fired.

Different ammo manufacturers besides utilizing different weight bullets use different types of powder. Tis said that slower burning powder has a more noticeable affect on perceived recoil due to muzzle blast.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    9mm Makarov is potentially *slightly* more powerful than .380
    ACP, though in practice most of the time they're loaded to nearly identical ballistics.

The most important factor in recoil is GUN WEIGHT. Second thing is probably fit of the gun to the hand of the shooter.

You say your CZ82 had a lot of recoil. Compared to what?

IMO, CZ82 has a lot *less* recoil than the super-light polymer pocket autos, like the Kel Tec P3at or Ruger.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks!
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    I would try ammo with a lighter bullet weight, if possible. In my personal experience there is a difference in recoil and muzzle rise when a lighter bullet is fired.

Different ammo manufacturers besides utilizing different weight bullets use different types of powder. Tis said that slower burning powder has a more noticeable affect on perceived recoil due to muzzle blast.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I think it was a Bersa plus
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah
    9mm Makarov is potentially *slightly* more powerful than .380
    ACP, though in practice most of the time they're loaded to nearly identical ballistics.

The most important factor in recoil is GUN WEIGHT. Second thing is probably fit of the gun to the hand of the shooter.

You say your CZ82 had a lot of recoil. Compared to what?

IMO, CZ82 has a lot *less* recoil than the super-light polymer pocket autos, like the Kel Tec P3at or Ruger.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Hornady information was shot in test barrels, most likely, not an actual handgun. That is just to start with. While I am sure they have better test equipment than I, the 9x18 was meant to be a shortened 9x19, for those area's where firearms and ammunition of police or military calibers, are prohibited. The information Hornday gives you, is for their loads, not what other's might be, too.

So...perhaps the 9x18 should have more recoil than a 380.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info!