In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.22 Hornet & ammo value

EOD_daddys_grrlEOD_daddys_grrl Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
edited March 2014 in Ask the Experts
Hi! I have a Winchester .22 Hornet that I want to sell - but I dont know how much to ask for it. I've seen others that were priced around $1000 - none of them have the bone inlay that mine has, I dont know if someone added that or if it was made with it... The scope is a Weaver.

I also have 4800 rounds to sell with it. They're all loose rounds, some of them might be military.

What would you ask for the gun & rounds as a package deal? The SN is 348458. Thanks!!!

[imgz6h9.jpg[/img]

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    EOD_daddys_grrl,

That looks very much like a Winchester, Model 43 you have there. While the "bone inlay", might add to it visually, and have sentimental value, it detracts from the overall collectability.

I am not sure as to what you have for ammunition there, but it has to be worth something. I am speculating there are some reloads, and as far as the military goes, the number of those I suspect would be fairly limited.

The rifle the way it is, is around $400.00-500.00, and the ammunition is anybodys guess.

I would put it both on the auction side, under seperate auctions, as that is your best bet to maximize your value.

Best
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put it up for auction and let the buyers set the price.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by EOD_daddys_grrl
    What would you ask for the gun & rounds as a package deal? The SN is 348458. Thanks!!!

The serial number you mention "348458" is not possible for a factory original Winchester Model 43 rifle. I very much suspect that it is actually "34845A"
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There WAS a FMJ .22 Hornet cartridge loaded for the US Military to feed the Air Crew Survival rifle.
  • Options
    richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The military-issue ammo has a very pointy FMJ bullet, quite unlike all civilian ammo.
  • Options
    EOD_daddys_grrlEOD_daddys_grrl Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the great information, everyone! And Bert H. - you were right about the serial number! Good catch :)