In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

700 SPS Tactical .308 Re-stock--UPDATE

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
edited March 2014 in Ask the Experts
I am considering putting a new stock on my .308. It is the 700 SPS Tactical with the 20" heavy barrel.

What would be a nice upgrade at a decent price? I am looking at the Boyd stocks. Looks like they make a nice sturdy laminate stock with the black finish or just a laminate stock with the thumb-hole. Any advantage to either one? Any others out there, that are good in that price range? Or am I better off saving the $100 and keeping the factory Hogue stock?

Thanks guys.

UPDATE: So, I ordered and received the Boyd's Thumbhole laminate stock. I went "odd" for once and got the Applejack color. I figured this will be my 1st bench only rifle, so I am going to go 100% the way I want it, within budget of course.

I made a call to a local gunsmith, whom from past business, I know does very good work at a reasonable price. We talked about bedding, etc. and I decided that for his asking price, I am going to let him do the work on this one and maybe venture into my own project when I am better prepared, both money and experience/time-wise. He is going to do the bedding and any "free-floating" for me, whenever I get a chance to drop it off. I am kind of excited about this one. [8D]

Jon

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sig220_Ruger77,

Almost anything you choose could be considered an 'upgrade' when compared to the Hogue stock. The reason Remington includes this stock on a factory offering is because it's cheap. Not good, cheap.

I'm not a fan of plywood no matter what color or which shape. But if the $100.00 is the level of affordability for you then that's where you're going to stay. Personally, I prefer the Manners Composite Stocks or a McMillan over plywood. The newer carbon fiber stocks from Manners are both light and nearly indestructible. The drawback of course is the price since nothing carbon fiber is cheap.

The choice between a standard shape stock and a thumb hole is strictly personal. Thumb holes are a love/hate relationship with most folks, they either like then or hate them. You have to try them to be sure which type you are. I have just as many thumb holes as I do standard stocks.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    Sig220_Ruger77,

Almost anything you choose could be considered an 'upgrade' when compared to the Hogue stock. The reason Remington includes this stock on a factory offering is because it's cheap. Not good, cheap.

I'm not a fan of plywood no matter what color or which shape. But if the $100.00 is the level of affordability for you then that's where you're going to stay. Personally, I prefer the Manners Composite Stocks or a McMillan over plywood. The newer carbon fiber stocks from Manners are both light and nearly indestructible. The drawback of course is the price since nothing carbon fiber is cheap.

The choice between a standard shape stock and a thumb hole is strictly personal. Thumb holes are a love/hate relationship with most folks, they either like then or hate them. You have to try them to be sure which type you are. I have just as many thumb holes as I do standard stocks.

Best.

I just did some research on Manners website. They make some really nice stocks! I like the composite lightweight stock. That with the detachable magazine in the olive drab or green leaf color would be awesome! Unfortunately, the price came to $700+ by the time I got done building one and that is way more then I am looking to invest at this time.

Jon
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the Bell & Carlson with the aluminum bedding block molded in, I have two on Weatherbys - a .300 Whby and a .338 Win Mag. Both very stable.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sig220_Ruger77,

Manners is generating a lot of attention with their Elite Hunter line of stocks (carbon fiber versions). But as I pointed out, they are not in your stated range of expendable dollars. They are however the best value in the industry right now. Seemingly they can and will last forever.

Now, if the plywood stock is the budget making deal then I suggest that you spend some time either having it pillar bedded or learning how to do it yourself. This is a necessity with wood stocks of any variety. I would also complete the action bedding as well. There are dozens of videos online demonstrating the techniques of bedding if you choose this as a DIY project. It's very rewarding and a great way to enhance rifle performance if you have the desire and some skills.

Aluminum bedding blocks are not new and can add some stability to your barreled action. However, and this comes from several hundred evaluations of these types of stocks, the bedding block is rarely straight after the manufacturer puts it in the stock. This will vary from the action screw holes being axially rotated slightly to the block (screw holes) being out of alignment with the barrel channel. The barrel channels will show slight variations in the centering in the stock as well.

These errors can all be fixed but you need to be aware of them so you can assess the stock right away before just bolting in your barreled action. These stocks, B&C or HS Precision, can be a good step up from factory if you spend the time to make a few changes. Remember though that these stocks will weigh a touch more than factory or plywood.

Best.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sig220_Ruger77,

IF I am not mistaken, does not the factory Hogue stock, have a bedding block?

However, on to the suggestions you have already been given. The Manner's stocks, are an item I can attest to. I will have a rifle with their carbon fiber stock, in the future, but I currently own a rifle with one of their T4A stocks. That rifle is in 300 RUM, and wears a NightForce NXS 5.5-22x56. It will hold 1/2 MOA out to at least 1000 yards, if the wind is doped correctly.

That Manner's stock was pillar bedded, and the action was skimmed in, in Marine Tex. That is giving that action the most rigid, zero stress launching platform it can have. The rifle was built on a Surgeon 1086 action, and wears a Bartlein 28 inch barrel. It was built by GA Precision in N. Kansas City, MO. Actually, I believe they are right next door to Manner's, and Badger Ordnnce.

I have also done up a couple Model 70 Classic's in the Boyd's Thumbhole stocks. I put them on pillars, and skimmed them in with either J-B Weld, or Brownell's STEEL BED.

It is all in your budget, and how far you can extend it. Like everything, you get what you pay for, but that is not to say that some lower bugetary items like the Boyds stock are not going to be OK. I got very acceptable results with the Boyds stock, and it still has the warm feeling of wood.

Follow your heart, and your budget, but I do reccommend, that either way, you put in pillars, skim bed the action, and bottom metal to the pillars, and free float your barrel. After your bedding is done, I reccommend that you use 50-60 inch-pounds of torque to secure your action in the stock.

Best
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For a "slight bump up" check out Stockys Stocks and the line of Bell & Carlson stocks. They have a variety of laminated stocks too, the web site is very ""search friendly". Also, finding a used HS Precision in basic configuration is a possibility here on GB - that would run about $200.00 to $250.00.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sig220_Ruger77,

Thank you for the update. It's always appreciated when a member comes back to report on how they used the information and suggestions they received here.

I know you'll enjoy your new stock!

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    Sig220_Ruger77,

Thank you for the update. It's always appreciated when a member comes back to report on how they used the information and suggestions they received here.

I know you'll enjoy your new stock!

Best.

Not a problem. I greatly appreciate the advice given here. I will share when the project is done with some pictures and a range report as well.

I have a 3-9x40 Burris Fullfield II, that will go on it right away, but I am going to start saving for something nice to go on it. Maybe a variable power that goes up to 12-14x and a 50mm, but we will see.

Jon