In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

J. Stevens 16 Gauge

yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2014 in Ask the Experts
I was given this shotgun. She's rough and someone before me took much sand paper to her and let her get rusty bad. So I figure I'll bead blast her and use some of that cold blue sauce I was reading up on here.

Here's the sitch. I got her broken down but I can't ge the shucker, barrel and the bolt apart. The barrel is tongue and grooved to the reciever but I can't get the shucker off to get the two apart. The shucking rod is hitched to the bolt. The tongue and groove has a bit of play but not enough to get the rod off the bolt so I'm stuck. I'm used to the Mossberg.

So help the Yellow Brotha out.

Ambrose - That's what I've been doing but nope. The barrel will drop about 1/4" but the hooky part still don't have enough swing to disengage the bolt. Now I should clue you in that all I have infront of me is the reciever, barrel and the "slide". Oh and that round stop with the spinning screw and a leaf spring (both don't seem to be in the way).

I had to take the mag tube off to get the "chingus" that is the mag tube nut/reciever lock so the barrel will not slide down that 1/4".

The one I got is the rounded backed one. So I guess she's a 620? Also has a 4 digit serial #97XX so mayb the way doesn't work on this?

Okay I got the mag tube off by removing the screw that holds the tube to the barrel then unscrewed the tube off the nut off the reciever. Basic break down of a shotgun. I figure I'll go to see my LGS and let him show off his skills. I did most of the work.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/SavageStevensSpringfieldFox-33479/Shotguns-40503/94ShotgunSeries-41398/94-34353.htm

As best as I can follow you need to remove part #6 so the part 46A can unhook from part 10.

Perhaps you can look threw the list and find your gun. I see no model 16G listed.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/SavageStevensSpringfieldFox-33479.htm
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You had me going there for a minute. 1: Press the slide release and pull the slide (or "shucker" as you call it) all the way back. You will see grooves in the magazine tube where the "shucker" used to be. 2: Twist the mag. tube which will screw the clamp away from the receiver. Un screw the tube as far as it will go. 3: Press down on the barrel where it meets the receiver which will move the barrel assembly down about 1/4 inch. 4: Pull that "shucker" forward and out. The barrel assembly will now slide the rest of the way down and out.

I've got my Stevens 620 across my knees as I type this.

BTW: I've come to like the "shucker" phrase!

Let us know how you make out.

Those are good solid old shotguns. The 520 is a hump-back and the 620 has the rounded back receiver like the Winchester model 12.

Yosh: I'm not sure how you got the mag. tube out without getting the shucker loose but I'll tear mine apart some more tomorrow and see if I can come up with something that might help. I'm glad you mentioned the Stevens: In fooling with it, I found the stock a bit loose and fixed it. Good-night.

EDIT II: I tore mine apart again this AM. And yes, I was able to get the mag. tube out with the shucker still on there as you did. The only thing I can think of is that you don't have the breech block (bolt) all the way back (see step #1 above). Other than that, I got nothing. Mine is a 12 ga. serial #2707 and shows absolutely no reluctance to come apart. There is a notch in the top rear edge of the action bar that hooks the bolt. When the barrel assembly drops that first quarter inch, the action bar drops with it and unhooks from the bolt. At least that's the way it's supposed to work. Incidently, I found a listing for the 620 in a 1956 catalog but it was gone from the 1957 so these old shotguns are at least 58 yrs. old. The list price was $75 while the Winchester model 12 was $93.85.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Resolved.

The slide arm was bent which prevented the disassembly. The gunsmith was having difficulties too so I knew I wasn't a total idiot [:D]. Dude done pried the hooky thing up and whacked the slide to pop her loose. I did that but I was afraid to break her so I didn't Jap slap her hard enough.

So now I get to heat and un-bend the arm as well as bead blast the rust then cold blue the silly thing.

I get to shop around for the cold blue or cold brown. I was told muzzle loader stuff will brown the metal. Good thing the gun show will be coming around next month. Mean while I'm going to let the guts soak and losen the decades of hard gum like grease.