In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

fake/faux case coloring

kms1961kms1961 Member Posts: 391 ✭✭✭
edited March 2014 in Ask the Experts
Hi all does anyone have a recipe or know of a product or why do do the fake case coloring look doesn't have to perfect looking as this is not for a gun. I've heard benzoin tincture, acid friut juices etc. does anyone know of a decent way to achieve a somewhat look?
Thanks Kevin

Comments

• Options
    49 harley49 harley Member Posts: 112 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hate to say, but when I was at a certain Gunsmith school, was accepted practice to polish to about 320*400 and then play with an oxyacetylene torch to get desired result, then clear coat.
  • Options
    rossowmnrossowmn Member Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depending how you define a "somewhat look," I've found I can clean a receiver down to the white, reblue it with cold blue (such as OxphoBlue from Brownell), then use a medium- or fine-tipped artist's brush to put on more bluing in streaks that mimic the original swirls you get with true case coloring. Let the streaks sit for a while, then polish off lightly with 0000 steel wool. You end up with sort of a shadow effect that looks "somewhat" like faded case coloring. But you don't get the mix of colors you may want. I think it looks better than that ugly red tint you get on some receivers that have been hot-blued. Caveat: I am not an expert and don't pretend to be one. I'm just sharing what I've found by experimenting.