In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Switch barrel Rifle

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2014 in Ask the Experts
How easy is it to accompish using a Rem 700 action?

Comments

• Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Fairly easy. I prefer to pin the recoil lug to the receiver face, and inlet the stock large enough for the barrel so that you can change barrels without removing the stock.

I've done a couple 3 barrel setups. With a scope that repeats, once you have the settings, changing the barrel & resetting the scope gets you pretty darn close.
  • Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The majority of benchrest rifles are made on Rem 700 type actions. They are the easiest to fit multiple change-barrels. As MG1890 said, it's a good idea to pin the recoil lug. Or, if you glue the action into the stock there is no need for a recoil lug at all.
  • Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    barrel nut as the savage rifles use are available. The barrel and nut are caled a ramage set up. From McGowen.
  • Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is there such a thing as a Savage barrel nut for a Rem 700? I've never heard of it. I suppose you could buy one and then fit it to a Rem barrel, but why bother? It seems to me it would be a lot of work for nothing gained.

Ray
  • Options
    laylandadlaylandad Member Posts: 961 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cheechako
    Is there such a thing as a Savage barrel nut for a Rem 700? I've never heard of it. I suppose you could buy one and then fit it to a Rem barrel, but why bother? It seems to me it would be a lot of work for nothing gained.

Ray

Check out the bottom left pic.
    http://www.pac-nor.com/photo_gallery/

maybe it's not for Remington.....and just a typo
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cheechako,

quote:Is there such a thing as a Savage barrel nut for a Rem 700?

This has been around for a while now. The run-of-the-mill gun mags have touted it as big news.

It is a simple method of barrel attachment which allows most rifle owners to attach a new barrel to a Remington without the the help of a gunsmith. They buy, rent or borrow a go gauge and have at it. It expands the barrel makers market by several percentage points and the barrels have high profit margin.

Usually the quality of the barrel isn't there, then you add in the lack of skill necessary to assemble the rifle and you get an average performing rifle for a very low cost. But for many this is a viable solution to a need that they couldn't afford otherwise.

Best.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At one time, I was enamored by the switch barrel novelty. After thoroughly studying the concept, I decided it was't for me. My opinion is it's only really effective if you're a hunter traveling to places that have draconian gun laws and tons of paperwork to account for each firearm or live in such a place.
    I'm not saying I don't have extra Savage barrels and the wrenches to change them-just not something I would commonly do when I can just use a different rifle.
  • Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We offer two different variations on the Remington Pre-Fit barrels. Please note that both should be installed by a qualified individual.

One variation is the standard Remington Barrel with a shoulder. This should definitely be installed and headspaced by someone qualified.

The second variation is what is commonly referred to as the Remage barrel. This barrel has no shoulder and is similar in design to the Savage Pre-Fit barrel. It requires a lock nut to lock the barrel down after installation on your action. It can be installed just like a Savage. Please note that a Savage Lock Nut will not work on this barrel. The Lock Nut for this type of barrel is custom made in our shop. It requires the use of a Savage wrench to install or dissassemble.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A benchrest shooter will have a switch barrel rifle on a Remington or custom action. The barrel will not be set up real tight, a barrel vise and an internal action wrench about a foot long will change them out with no trouble. Headspace is set and a witness mark made for alignment.

Except for special uses, I do not see much point. One size hole in a target is pretty much like the next. And Murphy's law says that any time you want to shoot, you will find the caliber you were NOT interested in today installed.