In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Blue book 35 issue worth $37 buck$$$$ ?

Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2014 in Ask the Experts
I buy Blue Book about every 5 years and generally have thought it worth the price. Yes, they're too high on some and horribly behind the game on other things. In general, I use it as a guide and then adjust for inflation or "flash" demand for some stuff that suddenly jumps in value. ie Stevens 311 .410's which they continued to value below $2oo when they were going for $500 or Smith revolvers which have taken a huge jump etc. etc. Who will tell me a new B Book is worth $54 now..
and yes, S P Fest you can answer.

Comments

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,745 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its a tool to me, thats all. Dates of manufacture ect. Ohh yes, there is things in there that is not even in the ballpark and like you say others that is way to overpriced.
  • Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I didn't have any other reference the Blue Book would be well worth $54 if I intended to buy/sell/trade very many used firearms. Like you, I used to buy one every few years. However, haven't bought one in at least five years and don't plan on buying one any time soon. Once you have a copy you have 99% of the model/type/SN info as that is rarely updated. . .and a good bit of what is there is not correct. There is so much on line information available these days that I find that to be a much better source; often in much more detail than the Blue Book offers. Once one's collector interests get beyond initial acquisitions it pays to obtain references that are much more focused; i.e. the Standard Catalog of S&W, or say Sheldon's very excellent work on the Colt 38 Super. The Blue Book is better than nothing most of the time. . . . .
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I buy one every 10 years or so. Price of a cup of coffee every year, cheap entertainment even with the errors.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not pay $54.00 for one, but then again they usually sell for $35.00 at the Puyallup Gun Show.

I also buy them every year, early on, and any of the type collectibles that I like that have greatly appreciated in price will get me to searching for one or two keepers.
    What's next?
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I've called it a novel before, and I continue to hold that opinion.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had dealers I know tell me they wish they could buy at Blue Book prices. It is a work of fiction. The Standard Catalog is a little better.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I get the on-line subscription, just for some direction, and tid bits of information. Pricing I get here on the auction side. I basically use it for entertainment purposes.

Lots of dealers I know, use it as a tool. A tool to make money. The majority of the items are kind of lowish valued, and the dealer goes to the lowest grade possible(dependant on condition), then subtracts 30-50% when taking a trade or outright buying, from someone who needs quick money. To a dealer, it is a must have...to the normal Joe...entertainment.

It can also entertain false hopes, by showing a person something in it without seeing the gun first. You give them the low, and the high, then they automatically assume the high, and when you get a hands on of the gun, it is 30-40% at best. The owner says, "but it is old", and you show them what you mean, but they say, "it is old". That kinda deal.

Best