In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

LUGER EXPERTS NEEDED

MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
edited March 2014 in Ask the Experts
What do I have here ..Is the description correct and whats it worth ? I will have another one here for you to inspect shortly .thanks !

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=404552377

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have a 1939 S42 Luger SS#8232 that has a very different
    sideplate. The top of the side plate has a slot cut in it
    and there is a sliding cover over it, the slot shows when
    the action is open and is closed when action is closed.
    The cover is spring steel and is pinned to the frame.
    This looks like a factory modification. Can anybody
    tell me what I have? Thanks...
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Peruse this site. the experts there can even tell you everything you need to know.
    http://luger.gunboards.com/forum.php

Oh by the way..."GESICHERT" means "On safety" in german
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have what the Blue Book (under Lugers: Mauser Mfg) calls a "code 42", a common WW2 gun. Unfortunately, it has been polished & reblued, & has some kind of bubba'ed front sight. No self respecting Nazi would have painted the sights with red fingernail polish; you should be able to remove it with acetone. Look closely at the under side of the barrel, as I suspect that you will find import markings.

You need to do better with your photos. Too many are out of focus or the colors appear faded. I don't know about you, but the only reason I had children was to teach me how to use a digital camera. It's time to ask for their help. Maybe it won't make a difference with this gun, which is just a shooter, but anything collectible will not bring top dollar unless you have great pics.

Neal

EDIT: NOTE TO VET ---- MFI only gets 10 responses to his questions before the topic is locked. Rather than hijack his thread, it would be better for you to start your own.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Shooter grade Parabellum. I agree about the reblue.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok so what is it worth ? What should it sell for ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'd start this one at six. You'll get a lot of lookers and maybe someone that has a need for some of the parts.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see those commonly at gunshows, usually not re-blued asking $1000 and gathering dust. I think the suffestion of $600 will help it move.
  • Options
    WWllVetWWllVet Member Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 1912 Luger in 7.62 (.30) caliber that has been bubbaed so that it will not lock back when the magazine is empty. Also needs a new barrel as the one I have is in very bad shape.
    Any help?

For GOD and COUNTRY

Vet
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by WWllVet
    I have a 1912 Luger in 7.62 (.30) caliber that has been bubbaed so that it will not lock back when the magazine is empty. Also needs a new barrel as the one I have is in very bad shape.
    Any help?

For GOD and COUNTRY

Vet

Some of the early manufactured, ( such as your 1912 ), German military Lugers were made without a hold open mechanism. Most were later reworked, for the hold open though. It's always possible that yours is one of the early real McCoys. That fell through the cracks?

Due a GOOGLE search for Luger barrels. Many replacements have been made over the years. You would be way better off, with a 9mm barrel though. Ammo is much more common, and way cheaper. Nothing has to be done to the Luger, to switch barrels from a 30 caliber to a 9mm. Only requires a competent gunsmith, with the correct tools and knowledge to switch Luger barrels.
  • Options
    WWllVetWWllVet Member Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rufe-Snow I have one other problem in that my pistol shoot fine but it does not cycle when fired.
    Ammo is no problem as I load my own. I have plenty of new Winchester brass in .30 Luger.

By the way is Snow your last name? If so we may be related. My grandmothers maiden name was Cassa Byrd Snow.

For GOD and COUNTRY

Vet
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rufe-Snow I have one other problem in that my pistol shoot fine but it does not cycle when fired.
    Ammo is no problem as I load my own. I have plenty of new Winchester brass in .30 Luger.

By the way is Snow your last name? If so we may be related. My grandmothers maiden name was Cassa Byrd Snow.

For GOD and COUNTRY

Vet

This is a common and easily corrected problem. People that screw with the guns don't know to change or modify the mainspring when going from 9mm to 7.65.
    9mm mainsprings have about 25 or so turns while 7.65 have between 17 and 21.
    Just ensure your mainspring has that or remove ONLY ONE at a time until you have proper functioning.
    If you decide to go back to 9mm, you will of course, require a new mainspring.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

For GOD and COUNTRY

Vet

Lugers have to fed with fairly hot ammo, for them to function.

Try some commercial 7.65 ammo, to see if it will function yours reliably. If it works with the commercial stuff, your handloads aren't hot enough.

Slug the barrel, if it's .311 your bullets might be undersized.

Loading with heavier bullets would be another option. When I was working up loads for the Swede Model 1888 30 cal. revolver. I tried various 30 cal. bullet weights, up to those used for our M 1 carbine.

My name isn't Snow. That just a handle I've used on this site since 2002.