In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S & W boxs

harley99bharley99b Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
edited March 2014 in Ask the Experts
Hay there, I have a flat latch S & W 36 in a red box? I,m wondering when S & W used the red boxes? Also I also am wondering if anybody out there has ever sent A hand gun to S & W to have it re-blued? I need a 19-3 redone & don't know if I should go thru my gun smith who does a fine job or send it to smith? Any help would be great!! Thanks Mike

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Giving us only 10% of a description usually results in our giving incorrect answers.

We can better answer your questions if you post photos of your gun, showing all markings (including serial number & numbers on the side of the frame visible when the cylinder is open). And, photos of the box from all sides.

I find that S&W does an outstanding job of rebluing, plus they can often replace worn parts that others may miss. Downside is the $150 shipping cost, as you can only ship/receive handguns via FedEx or UPS Next Day Air.

Neal
  • Options
    hicap47hicap47 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The J-frame Chief was introduced in 1950 and the red box was used thru 1954, so I suspect your gun would fall into that four year window......However, your gun should not be marked as a Mod 36 since model numbers didn't come into use until the late 1950's.....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    After looking at the gun it is NOT marked a 36 only a S & W 38 chiefs special blue 2 inch! the number on the bottom of the grip is 24912, And in side of the Crain is numbered 77480.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The last post didn't come out right, the gun only has the numbers its the box that has the wording.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by harley99b
    After looking at the gun it is NOT marked a 36 only a S & W 38 chiefs special blue 2 inch! the number on the bottom of the grip is 24912, And in side of the Crain is numbered 77480.

Serial Number #24912, would date to 1953.