In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Unknown Custom Rifle??

flyswatterflyswatter Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited March 2014 in Ask the Experts
Can you help identify a custom rifle a client inherited? The only markings on the exposed parts are the cal. (243) and a nine digit number on the receiver that is stamped in order like a SS #. On the underside of the barrel is the following: P II I I I BBrand 1966. There is a tag in the barrel channel of the stock which reads: Hank Botto Covina, Calif 91722 4616 Fircraft Ave Ed 9-3351

The action is a 98 Mauser. The stock is very nicely grained and fitted very well. Thanks to anyone who can help identify this gun and give me some leads as to the value. More info and pictures can be available to assist leads in this matter.

Thanks Terry

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Posting photo's sticky from above http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

Google didn't him as a gun smith so maybe it is the original owner's name, address and SS#.

Value is hit or miss to me. A good shooter would be worth more.

You could search the completed auctions for Golden State Arms or Santa Fe Arms, they did 98 Mauser conversions perhaps you can find one similar to what you have.

added Nice rifle, wonderful to have some history for it.
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Morning flyswatter~

Can you post some pictures? Especially the under barrel markings you state are " P II I I I BBrand 1966"..

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

As a teen-ager, I worked in a gunshop in San Bernardino, California from 1961 to 1968.. I knew Hank Botto very well.. He was the Southern California sales rep for a small gun/accessory wholesaler- Strathmore Gun Specialties, Strathmore, California.. Very nice fellow, and totally involved in firearms - hunter, shooter, collector..

Our gunsmith was a retired Colonel, P.H. Leibbrand.. Through occasional encounters in our shop, Hank and the Colonel became friends.. Since the Colonel worked out of his home, Hank included him in his route.. Over the years, Hank , and the Colonel, had many projects..

Look closely at the lettering.. Possibly a poor stamping, and it is, in fact, P.H. Leibbrand..
  • flyswatterflyswatter Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hangfire will try to get photo of underside of the barrel and post some photos later this evening. Thanks for all the replies..

Terry
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's the Colonels stamp..

You have a well built sporterized Mauser, typical of the '60's.. The Colonel was well respected locally, but most likely only known by his customers in this area.. Not a "famous" gunsmith.. I can tell you the building of the rifle was done by several people..

Knowing Hank very well, this was one of his project guns.. I would guess he found a nice small-ring mauser action, and had the Colonel do all the metal work, including re-barreling/chambering.. The stock was probably a semi-inletted, 90% shaped that he acquired through his business, Strathmore Gun Specialties.. He would have had one of his other customers do the woodworking- someone else, the bluing.. I may well have mounted the scope.. An interesting guy, Hank always brought along his current work-in-progress.. He liked involving the different shops in whatever he was doing..

I'm not up on values, but I can't see anything special with this rifle..

Looking at the photos again ( thanks Beeramid ), the action appears to be a Belgian FN mauser.. One photo shows the safety location, and the contoured bolt shroud.. This follows since Strathmore sold the FN actions.. This would move it out of the "sporterized" class, and make it a new build.. Don't know how much difference that would make..

quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    quote: but I can't see anything special with this rifle..

I would swap my Ruger 77 MKII for that any day.

Dale, I know what you're sayin'.. There are alot of quality sporters out there, but I don't see what would set this apart..

quote:Originally posted by flyswatter
    Thanks to Beeramid for actually posting the pictures instead of links..

Thank you Hangfire for the info. That is vastly more info than I had hoped for. It does look to be a well built rifle. The 3 different woods used in the spacer at the grip cap and forearm tip and the inletting are nice custom touches. So if I understand correctly Hank had the rifle built for himself and probably sometime later sold it.

Thanks again. This forum is great....

Terry

You're welcome..Glad I recognized the names.. And yes, it would have been his personal rifle..
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote: but I can't see anything special with this rifle..

I would swap my Ruger 77 MKII for that any day.
    edited November -1
    Thanks to Beeramid for actually posting the pictures instead of links..

Thank you Hangfire for the info. That is vastly more info than I had hoped for. It does look to be a well built rifle. The 3 different woods used in the spacer at the grip cap and forearm tip and the inletting are nice custom touches. So if I understand correctly Hank had the rifle built for himself and probably sometime later sold it.

Thanks again. This forum is great....

Terry
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm probably wrong but I think I see the thumb notch in the left side of the receiver. Also, I think I see a hollow bolt knob. That would make the action a 98 with a replaced bolt shroud and trigger/safety. The pictures don't show those features very prominently. Still a very nice rifle. Seems odd, with all the talent and resources the gentleman had available to him, that the stock wasn't checkered.
    edited November -1
    Ambrose: The bolt handle is hollow and knurled.