In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1 barrel markings

shyguy1864shyguy1864 Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
edited April 2014 in Ask the Experts
I would appreciate it if anyone can help me with some info on a M1 Garand I`m interested in buying. It is a early production 1943 Winchester,all Winchester trigger group, receiver, no visible cartouche on stock, but nice. It has an unusual barrel marking, it has a heart shape then 1 10 30 06 2 90 JH. Can anyone tell me about this marking? The guy that has it says it is a match barrel and says it is original to the gun but I thought that match grade barrels didn't start till the 50`s. He said the story behind the gun is that it was brought back from the war by the grandfather of the original seller. Does this sound legit considering no visible cartouche on stock and barrel markings?
Any input would be helpful.

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The marking sounds in line with other national match barels and they can be decoded by those who specialize in this area of M1 collecting (not me). The only purpose built NM M1s were very late produciton Springfields, the rest were converted from existing rifles. Winchester production was limited to WWII and no post war M1s were produced by Winchester so the rifle did not come with that barrel. In point of fact original Winchester barrels were unmarked in the chamber area and the rear hand guard must be removed to see thier markings. It did not come back from the war with that barrel so as they say "Buy the rilfe and not the story".
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only NM M1 rifles were made 1953-1963. Your barrel is a commercial replacement of unknown origin, & was never installed by the US military on either a Type 1 or Type 2 NM rifle.

Neal

"Believe nothing that you hear, & only half of what you see."
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    after market replacement barrel
  • Options
    CDMeadCDMead Member Posts: 2,141 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would suggest it's Hart Rifle Barrels.

http://hartbarrels.com/