In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

(11) Radom Factory

0oAKo47o00oAKo47o0 Member Posts: 409 ✭✭
edited April 2014 in Ask the Experts
Anyone know why everything is stamped with the number 11?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The countries of the Warsaw Pact, that were allies of the Soviet Union. Circa 1950's/1980's. Identified the factories that manufactured their military equipment. With a number inside a oval.

For the guns with the number 11 in a oval. The factory would be Zaklady Metalowe, located in the city of Radom Poland.
  • Options
    0oAKo47o00oAKo47o0 Member Posts: 409 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info guys. I have a 1970 polish AK and I saw the same markings on a Makarov made in 75, which made me wonder the meaning behind the (11). I knew it was a stamp used by the radom factory but didn't know it was just used on cold war era weapons. It makes me wonder, did they bring it back recently
    because i have newer polymer mags stamped the same.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 0oAKo47o0
    Thanks for the info guys. I have a 1970 polish AK and I saw the same markings on a Makarov made in 75, which made me wonder the meaning behind the (11). I knew it was a stamp used by the radom factory but didn't know it was just used on cold war era weapons. It makes me wonder, did they bring it back recently
    because i have newer polymer mags stamped the same.

It's possible that the Polish factory continued using the 11 in a oval, as a Identifier/Trade Mark? Even after the break-up of the Warsaw Pact. And the requirement for the individual factories, to be identified in a uniform manner.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 1953 and 1954 TT33 Polish Tokarevs marked with encircled 11 Radom markings on the slides.
    Both are well finished, inside and outside, equal to a good commercial gun.