In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Redfield lens cleaning

DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
edited April 2014 in Ask the Experts
I've got a 60's era redfield 3x9x ,same model used on the M40 sniper rifle. The inside of the objective lens looks to have some fungus, and I'm trying to get the outer objective ring off but it dosen't want to move. Is there a trick getting it to unscrew?

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The trick is to have several years of experience repairing scopes, & a workbench full of special tools. That's why I send damaged scopes to professionals:

Scope Repair
    (Updated 12/14/10)

George Kohl/Precision Optics
    Sirius146@hotmail.com
    (Weaver 330 series, M84)

Burrell at Sullivan's Classic Arms
    678-513-7575
    wbs2112@aol.com
    (Weaver 330 series, M81/82, M84, German ZF-4, ZF-41)

Dan
    ds1911@verizon.net
    (lens delamination, crosshairs)

Iron Sight, Inc.
    3324 S 76th Ave. W
    Tulsa, OK
    Attn: Mike Sexton
    918-445-2286
    www.scopeservice736@aol.com
    (M84)

ABO(USA) Inc
    14041 SW 139th Ct
    Miami, FL 33186
    www.abousainc.com
    305-860-4858

Dan Stangerone
    104 Pollywiggle Ln
    Pleasantville, NY 10570
    ds1911@verizon.net
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for good scopes deserve pro help. I'm thinking if you actually have mold growing in the scope I wouldn't be hopeful, however the crazed look a of delaminating lens is often fixable.
  • Options
    MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used Dan Stangerone. He is NYFD!

Did a good repair for me.
  • Options
    DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I emailed him, said he'll call me. Thanks. He called and gave me the advise I needed (a little heat)
  • Options
    the yooperthe yooper Member Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While not directly pertaining to the OP's letter on Redfields, I copied nmyers list of scope repair firms for future reference. I felt perhaps this addition to that list would be helpful to other readers. It regards repairs to the old Lyman scopes and is from their website:
    "Lyman has not manufactured scopes for quite some time. We have sold the last of our parts and fixtures to a company in Ohio, who is currently making repairs to the scopes. We would recommend you contact them directly at: Parsons Scope Service, 2213 Smith Road, PO Box 192, Ross, OH 45061, 513-867-0820 or psscopes@concentric.net"
    Sorry for the thread drift but hope it helps somebody.
    yooper
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need the proper fitting sleeve wrench or you'll bugger up the appearance.
    In the Army, our Div. Ordnance unit had a mobile instrument shop that regularly took apart field glasses, scopes, spotting scopes & did watch & other instrument repair.
    Fungus was cleaned off lenses and prisms using ethyl alcohol as it leaves no residue. I don't recall we had nitrogen to reduce fogging.
    By looking through the objective lens you can inspect for fungus on lenses and prisms.