In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cody search VS Letter?

woma951woma951 Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
edited April 2014 in Ask the Experts
http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=403616720

Ran a Cody serial number search on this gun nothing listed about the tang sight. Is the sights something that only shows in a letter?

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The information on the research sheet is identical to what you would receive on the factory letter.

In looking at your the auction listing, you it states that it holds (15) rounds... that is impossible! The maximum cartridge capacity for a standard Model 1886 Sporting Rifle in 45-70 in Nine .
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    By the looks of the missing bluing under the tang sight, and the mangled screws, this tang sight is a later addition.

Also, there is no restrictions at all in New York State about buying or owning your screwed up junk noncollector grade rifle. Hope you choke on it, comrade.[:(!] Way to help us dedicated firearms enthusiasts.

Yes, I made a mistake, and I apologize. The seller of this rifle really burns me, it was my mistake I thought the poster was also the seller.

Again, I apologize to the original poster.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks I wasn't sure if the letter and search would differ.
    Im guessing by the replys you dont advise bidding on this. Other than the miss information in the listing and the tang what else is fishy about this gun?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    And just to clarify this isn't my listing I was asking as a bidder. Iv never sold a gun I just buy them![:D]
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Steve

That rifle has a few issues, but with the Lyman No. 1A tang sight included, it is worth the opening bid. It is not a Winchester that is going to appreciate in value at a normal rate. It would make a great "shooter".
  • Options
    the yooperthe yooper Member Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Also, there is no restrictions at all in New York State about buying or owning your screwed up junk noncollector grade rifle. Hope you choke on it, comrade. Way to help us dedicated firearms enthusiasts."

Classy post. [:(!] I don't know where you came up with the completely unfounded assumption that it was his rifle. The man was clearly looking for assistance prior to placing a bid or not. This shouldn't be the kind of "help" he gets from so-called "experts" and "dedicated firearms enthusiasts". I think an apology is owed the man.
    yooper
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the support and the apology, I knew it was a miss understanding. Besides it worth the ribbing to gain any knowledge! I love Winchesters and building a collection but Iv got a lot to learn any help s appreciated,.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890
    By the looks of the missing bluing under the tang sight, and the mangled screws, this tang sight is a later addition.

Also, there is no restrictions at all in New York State about buying or owning your screwed up junk noncollector grade rifle. Hope you choke on it, comrade.[:(!] Way to help us dedicated firearms enthusiasts.

Yes, I made a mistake, and I apologize. The seller of this rifle really burns me, it was my mistake I thought the poster was also the seller.

Again, I apologize to the original poster.
    What about the seller that burns you [?] I thought he gave a decent description of the rifle with plenty of pictures added, he did, I assume make a honest mistake about the capacity but otherwise I don't see a "burning" issue unless I missed something, he does have good feedback too, just curious. Bert, you gave another truly valued expert opinion, keep it up ! [;)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee